Ringo’s Lambs! Baymule’s 5th Lambing

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yesterday I castrated the ram lambs. The black one is looking so good, that I hated to cut him, but a mutt ram is not what I want at this time. Since BJ banged himself up unloading lambs at the packing house, I had a neighbor come over to hold them for me.

Neighbor had never seen the process of castration, he was a little uneasy. He held them tight, very little wiggle, it was quick, over, sprayed the wound and set them down to run back to Momma. I checked on them a few times and by evening, they were maybe not bouncing around, but not walking spraddle legged either. I closed the dogs out to give the wethers time to heal. The dogs always have a "lick fest" on the sheep, it made me wonder if the dogs licking their little behinds would retard healing or speed it up. Anyone?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Baymule, contrary to the belief that dogs licking a wound (on people or themselfs) Is good....a dogs mouth is very germ filled a nd nasty...., I would think that after licking ones own bottom and then a lambs open num num incision, that would be a recipe for a nasty infection 🤔😷
That is my thoughts too. The dogs are closed out. When I put Sentry up last night, he curled up in the hay as close as he could get to Ringo in the other pen.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is my thoughts too. The dogs are closed out. When I put Sentry up last night, he curled up in the hay as close as he could get to Ringo in the other pen.

SENTRY is going to be one special dog, you can see the way he reacts to all you have been teaching him. I think you got another heart dog in your life🐶 :love

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
BJ and I were talking about him last night. I've had some really smart dogs, trained them to all sorts of voice commands, hand signals and tricks. Sentry is brilliant smart, but he will never be a "trick on command" kind of dog. He is so smart that he transcends doing tricks, he is so above that, not in a snooty way, but in a wise way. He is not my sidekick, he is my partner. We are equals.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bay, have you ever tried banding for sheep? I've never really discussed that with sheep people, but did my first lamb via cutting and vowed never to do THAT again. Seriously bungled that job and figured I'd band from now on.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
If a ram lamb needs to be wethered, they get banded. We either band the calves young, or they get banded bigger with the "callicrate" brand bander that you can do even 800 lb bulls with. But the ram lambs do not get banded as many are sold as older rams with their large horns for the hunting preserve. Sometimes there will be one that doesn't grow much for horns, but with the ethnic markets, they prefer the males to be intact so we seldom band any anymore. Band at birth to 2 days or so, as soon as the testicles descend. Give tetanus ANTITOXIN, not toxoid, if you feel the need to. Many do not do anything more than band. Don't do any cutting unless one has a nut that didn't descend and it can be felt/found later on. It can be a tough job. For just cutting a calf it isn't so hard, but we have had some pretty bad experiences, with vets doing the cutting.... so we just prefer to band.