rings in nose

larryj57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I am thinking on some new pigs the last ones I had tore up the pasture something awlful, at what age would I put rings in thier nose and will it really help with the rooting problem

quiltnchik

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
larryj57 said:
I am thinking on some new pigs the last ones I had tore up the pasture something awlful, at what age would I put rings in thier nose and will it really help with the rooting problem
Check out American Guinea Hogs. They are grazers and root very little. I have a pair in a pasture and they've done very little damage, and are content to graze the grass and root up weeds that would otherwise kill the grass this spring.

larryj57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks I'll lok into the Guineas, the last ones i had were Duroc/Hampshire cross nice hogs but awlful destructive.

Cornish Heritage

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We found the Hamps to be the most awful rooters! SO destructive!

We now raise exclusively Large Blacks & although they do root a little (all pigs do!) they are not nearly as bad as the Hamps. They normally only root if they are in a small area or if it has just rained. If there is plenty of grass they will eat that.

We have never put rings in their noses.

Liz

Cornish Heritage

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Oh should say, pigs need the nutrients from the soil so that is why they root some.

Liz