Roosters

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like i want Marans. I've always wanted to try legbar. I'll definitely get hatching eggs this spring.
My first rooster was a Cream Legbar. He was great. I kept a crossbred (Easter Egger) son of his, and he was great too. And they were pretty. Right now I have a Black Copper Marans cockerel. He went through a stage where I thought he was turning into a jerk, and I put him on Craigslist. He didn’t sell, and he has behaved himself as he has grown, so for now I’m keeping him. That’s not a big sample size to go by. But my Cream Legbar and Easter Legger roosters made pretty mixed breed offspring. All you will get from a Black Copper is black chicks with a lot of red leakage. And feather legs. Other colors can come out in the following generation though.

DeEtta

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My first rooster was a Cream Legbar. He was great. I kept a crossbred (Easter Egger) son of his, and he was great too. And they were pretty. Right now I have a Black Copper Marans cockerel. He went through a stage where I thought he was turning into a jerk, and I put him on Craigslist. He didn’t sell, and he has behaved himself as he has grown, so for now I’m keeping him. That’s not a big sample size to go by. But my Cream Legbar and Easter Legger roosters made pretty mixed breed offspring. All you will get from a Black Copper is black chicks with a lot of red leakage. And feather legs. Other colors can come out in the following generation though.

The more I hear about the legbars the more I like them. I'm looking forward to eventual cross breds with my americanas. I will have to wait till spring to get hatching eggs. I do not have an incubator, just heat lamp for chick's.

Sounds like a rooster teenager. :rolleyes: