Rubbing a pig's belly - good or bad?

HappyMamaAcre

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input! His advice just didn't seem right to me, either. Maybe I should look for a new vet.... :)

HappyMamaAcre

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
drdoolittle said:
brentr wrote:

Some vets are inexperienced with certain animals and may say things about animal behavior that they've heard from others who they consider experts on the subject. The truth is, until recently a lot wasn't really understood about pig behavior. You should read "The Good, Good Pig"-----I wish everyone who thinks pigs are stupid, stinky animals would read this book. It only confirmed what I already thought was true of all animals----they are intelligent, emotional beings that need to be treated humanely (if not with downright respect).
I'm going to get the book today! Right after I head out to the yard and give Doink the pig a belly rub!

VeganFarmer

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Just to weigh in here, for what it's worth. I think the vet may be correct in saying that pigs roll over requesting a belly rub, where as dogs roll over showing submission, and in return receive an unexpected treat! ;)
That being said, I assume you keep your pigs outside, and it sounds like you've had your pigs for a while and never had any domination problems. Even if you are granting a pigs wish, a pig such as yours isn't going to start challenging your position as "head pig".
Farmyard vet grump.

EDIT: OHMYGOSH! I LITERALLY WAS JUST READING THE GOOD GOOD PIG! Sorry, *drama* moment there, but I'm LOVING that book! Although I dont neccesairily like the writing style (why does she assumes she's the only one more comfortable around animals then people?) I LOVE the story which has kept me reading it. I devoured it in an hour, just finished. I love it. Go and eat bacon now people! ;) (snobby vegan moment there, apologies)

:frow

HappyMamaAcre

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks VeganFarmer!

I've changed vets and for the most part things are going well (except the 18 degrees on the thermometer at morning feeding time...)

I read the book too - the pictures were simply wonderful!

Cornish Heritage

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Anyway, he told me NOT to rub a pig's belly. He said when you pet a pig and it lays down and "lets" you pet its belly it is not a submissive gesture like it is with a dog. He said it's the exact OPPOSITE, that only the "head pig" does that.
Rubbish! That way of thinking is VERY old school & most vets have never been around non-confinement pigs. Our vet is really good but scared stiff of our big boars who are just big softies. Goodness if we did not give Seamus, one of our boars, his belly scratch when he wanted it he would not be very happy with us. He is SO funny. He comes over, rolls over, gets his scratch & then jumps back up & back off to what he was doing.

Now I do agree that it is not a submissive gesture, more like a cat, wanting attention only when they want it & on their terms :)

Liz

HappyMamaAcre

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Liz!

You are absolutely right - Doink gives me his belly exactly when and where he wants to in the barnyard. I could walk around scratching his ears for a hour and if he doesn't want to lay down, he's not going to!

I think he and I have come to an understanding. He's not in love with me like he was with his old owner, but he knows I have his best interests at heart.

Best of luck with your new life adventure!

--Joan

Dino

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have experienced a couple of boars that were somewhat agressive, one that we bought and was poorly socialized perhaps even had been teased or taunted. He hated dogs too. The other one I recently bought and he is 99% of the time a big softy... except when any of the girls are in heat. He doesn't charge but he pops his teeth and deliberately heads toward me or any other male in the pasture. He will do anything for a doughnut... thats how we load him into a trailer. He loves getting his ears scratched too.

Good luck with the move Liz!

HappyMamaAcre

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I love "pops his teeth"! That's EXACTLY what my guy does, but I didn't have the right words to describe it. It never feels like he's really trying to bite me. Sometimes he's just a grumpus.:)