SageHill Ranch Journal

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Back to grazing and some sort of sanity. :)
I just took about half the sheep out. Left two mamas and the not so baby babies behind. Made it an easier day. This group was nice and cohesive. Stripe - mama to the Camper ram lamb started getting like a barn sour horse on the way back the last few times - not bad, but the nice mosey back to the barn became a little more work like her last few times out. Know idea why other than she was just done with grazing. I used Obi since the poor dog hasn't been grazing for awhile. Said hello to Murphy - it was good to see him and hear his greeting. I've always had an appreciation for him and always liked his greeting barks. The barks IMO were never of the "get outa here" nature (of course we never went up against the fence either - but had no reason to). And my dogs - both Obi and Zo would look over at him with his initial barks and not react other than in my mind they were thinking 'you're working too this morning eh?' and the sheep never reacted other than to maybe pick their heads up from grazing to look and then return to their scrumptious breakfast. With the wonderful thread on Anatolians by @Ridgetop has been posting I believe that what I've thought and observed is exactly that. Would that change if we went up against the fence? Possibly. But there is no reason to do that other than to make a mess of a good thing. I also think that when Murphy is there the chances of a coyote coming by are a lot less.
It was nice going along and checking out the pedicures that they all got yesterday - nice neat little hooves 👍👍.
The inch of rain and cooler weather has breathed new life back into the greenery for the time being. Yay, and it's the beginning of the rainy season.
Grazing one end of the meadow.
IMG_1411.jpeg

Keeping his sheep all in a line....... tasty sugar sumac.
IMG_1456.jpeg

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Said hello to Murphy - it was good to see him and hear his greeting. I've always had an appreciation for him and always liked his greeting barks. The barks IMO were never of the "get outa here" nature (of course we never went up against the fence either - but had no reason to). And my dogs - both Obi and Zo would look over at him with his initial barks and not react other than in my mind they were thinking 'you're working too this morning eh?'
Murphy recognizes the dogs, you, and the sheep as belonging on your pasture. He barks to let you know he is there. Obi and Zo know he is not a danger to them or their sheep too. Kind of like a neighbor giving you a friendly wave over the fence. LOL

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Murphy recognizes the dogs, you, and the sheep as belonging on your pasture. He barks to let you know he is there. Obi and Zo know he is not a danger to them or their sheep too. Kind of like a neighbor giving you a friendly wave over the fence. LOL
That’s exactly how I read it. 😊👍🏼👍🏼

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Back to grazing now that the mornings are cooler. Somewhere in the low to mid 50s range 👍 .
Zo is doing well, but I'm back to the "he's not Obi" mode.
Fast, a bit pushy, way way way wide (i.e. TOO WIDE) sometimes, and ahem a bit of a teenager (turning 2 next week I think) and "testing his limits" (too close, pass through , thoughts of dental hygiene aka flossing). He will get there in training. It's all about having the right tool - I have that in him, but the handle on the tool is the training. I'm still carving that handle ;).
On the menu the last couple of days the typical wild mustard and a grass of some type (St Augustine?? according to the phone ap).
Day before yesterday I worked on the ranch road - the little bit of rain we got the other day came all at once and caused a bit of a washout in some areas. Typical. So it was a tractor the road day. I did the whole road as it just needed some freshening up. Today taking that loop to graze there were 3 new coyote scat spots, and a lot of tracks on the south edge. A lot of which were in the area I shot at one yesterday. Looking like it's going to be a stay on my toes kind of time.
On the graze this morning we (Obi and I) saw Murphy. He was at the meadow fence and quiet. I guess perhaps we've become part of his realm. :hu As long as he's happy, we're happy. Just having him close by does give me a little piece of mind that coyotes aren't imminently in our right now happening future. It's nice to relax a little. Interesting to note - he licked the fence. Hmmmm.
Three more weeks and Camper will be in freezer camp!
Chatted with TOR yesterday on his radio show. Fun time. Somehow I didn't mention that we take the sheep out grazing. DUH! I'm actually going to start grazing morning and afternoon soon. That way I can work both dogs. Not that Obi needs the work - but I can't stand it when he pouts because Mr Zoom Zo did the graze job instead of him. Even using Obi to do the barn chores that actually require a ton of experience to do calmly -- read that as he reads my mind and does it, vs me telling him, isn't enough to stop that oh so sad pout.
Mr Zoom Zo "awe come on ma, just let me zoom by another time" :barnie
IMG_1474.jpeg

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just watched the tilt a whirl video from my YouTube subscriptions. Looks like it works really well and will pay back its cost in saving your body while dealing with the sheep. I also think they will fuss less as they get used to it. Or maybe not, I don't think Laddie will ever calm down when he needs hit pedicure or annual shearing.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just watched the tilt a whirl video from my YouTube subscriptions. Looks like it works really well and will pay back its cost in saving your body while dealing with the sheep. I also think they will fuss less as they get used to it. Or maybe not, I don't think Laddie will ever calm down when he needs hit pedicure or annual shearing.
😊👍🏼 yup less wear and tear on the prime body. While I’ve been able to tip the ewes into the deck chair I seriously don’t think I could’ve managed tipping the ram. I’ve also used it to drench them as well.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
I need one of these. Sigh……. Someday…..
Stupid things come first, like bulldozer, fence, more wire at $350 a roll, power line poles for barn plus 2x6’s, plywood, R panels, more wire, more and more. LOL
WOAH - bulldozer - ah yeah that would be way fun.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Did a bit of grazing today - with Obi and we sorted the ram out of the mix. It was so much easier w/o him. Mind you, he's not a problem, but ever on guard. He knows the stock stick and it moves - which he shuts his eyes SO tight it's laughable. Without him I can just turn my back and walk. He'll be out grazing again, he needs the fresh stuff too, but once in awhile it's worth the effort to sort him out of the mix and just relax.
Murphy said a quick hello too. Dispatched another slithery. A very small one. I'm good with that shovel :) - the joys of So Cal. My Christmas present came today - some assemble required - all together and tomorrow a test drive :);) round and round it will go.
Munching on Calif. Buckwheat...........
IMG_1503.jpeg

Love it when it looks so peaceful and spread out.

IMG_1494.jpeg

Ol Stripe - maaa maaaa to Camper -- she's a bit of a goofball in a good way.
IMG_1505.jpeg