SageHill Ranch Journal

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Out grazing again this morning. Temps mid 40s to low 50s -- perfect weather (and good to keep slithery things away).
Depending on the forecast I look at we're in for 4-6 inches of rain and YAY cool temps (normal cool, unlike the mid to high 70s of last week). Gotta graze while I can. After the rain there will be a lot of recovery work. It's too wet/ ground too soft to use the utv or tractor right now.
I took all the sheep out again today (except the ram and his pal) to graze. Once again I thought I'd leave the mama and twins behind. It was a lot of work for Obi yesterday. Buuuuut - yeah changed my mind for the same reason as yesterday, mama ewe wasn't happy. We did a full on graze and the twins did great. I didn't have to carry either of them. I guess yesterday will be one of those memories :love . Today of course, brought another one for the memory book - I watched and watched, hollered to DH to "Look, no lamb left behind" (he was walking the ranch road). When I suddenly realized TAKE THE DANG PICTURE. Was really lucky to catch it.....
IMG_3846.jpeg

The black ewe and Obi are sort of "friends" -- before the twins she'd lag back finding something tastier than the others. She and Obi would go nose to nose before she'd slowly move on. Interesting to watch that dynamic. Not a touch of harshness in either of them. It seems that the dynamic between them hasn't really changed with the lambs. Not that I'd let my guard down, or put Obi in a bad position to break that, but it does exist.
IMG_3811.jpeg

IMG_3818.jpeg

Oh - and before we headed out this morning I put the chunky red ewe lamb on the scale 2 weeks old and 20.6 lbs.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
When I suddenly realized TAKE THE DANG PICTURE. Was really lucky to catch it.....
Love that skyline picture of Obi and lamb! Yu should get it printed our and frame it! Really wonderful shot. Although it makes me laugh since sweet fuzzy Obi looks even more like a wolf following a lamb!
:lol:

Great weight on the red ewe. Definitely a keeper to breed.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Great weight on the red ewe. Definitely a keeper to breed.
Thanks!! She has definitely opened my eyes to what I should be looking for. Going from the training type sheep to what I have now has been a learning experience (but then isn't everything a learning experience?!).

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Using good meat type sheep to train the dogs will be better financially for you since your lamb sales will bring more $$. Also since you are training for sheep people (?) learning to work heavier slower sheep with lambs will be a benefit to the owners.
No, just training those with dogs that like the activity giving their dog a "job" even though part time and some want to trial. Sheep people don't seem to have the time - which I totally understand. I've always believed a good dog is one that needs little training because the farmer/rancher doesn't have the time to put into the dog like dog sport people do. Logical to me.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
You are right! If I were to get a herding dog, I would not buy a puppy, I would look for an older dog that had been trained. I would look for a herding trial trainer/breeder who wanted to retire a dog that was older or not quite up to trial standard to bring on promising younger dogs. :fl :lol: Hard to find since dogs like that are usually special to the owner. And $$$!

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
A gorgeous morning, blue skies and 45 to start. Rain should be coming in late this afternoon - out to graze while we can.
The twins are now definitely able to keep up. I noticed yesterday that the black ewe with the twins seemed to "end the graze time" and start heading home. It's not something that she has ever done in the past. In fact she was always one of the stragglers. Today she did the same thing. My guess is that she knows just how long and far the twins can go. When it hits a certain point/time/whatever she starts to mosey back in the direction of the barn - no matter which way we go. I can have Obi "force" her into an area the others are grazing only to have her slowly meander back in the direction of home. So be it. I can leave her behind, but a) she isn't happy when I try and b) I think it's good to have the twins out and her as well to get whatever nutrients they want/need by choosing what they eat. Looks like I'm heading into more observation learning again :). I'm good at picking up patterns so that helps.
Going to get some more waste alfalfa shredded for the garden beds. Already added in a few bushels the other day. Back into finding the balance of feeding too much and just right. Too much and they leave a lot behind waiting for more the tastiest to be "delivered"! :lol:
Heading out to the meadow - going to see if they want that area.
IMG_3853.jpeg

Got to the meadow and they were only mildly interested in what it had to offer.
Typical. There was a point in time this fall with the greenery provided by Hurricane Hilliary
that the meadow was a choice spot. Now it's back to the "do we really have to eat this" status.
Hillside grazing was the choice of the morning...
IMG_3880.jpeg

Some obligatory lamb pics ;)
IMG_3911.jpeg

IMG_3904.jpeg

IMG_3918.jpeg

Annnnd black mama ewe starting to make everyone meander back home.......
IMG_3929.jpeg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I love love love the picture of Obi with the lamb! Post it in POW!

It’s fascinating to watch the dogs and sheep communicate. There is a silent animal language that we as humans, scarcely are aware of. Witnessing that unspoken interaction is a precious gift.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
I love love love the picture of Obi with the lamb! Post it in POW!

It’s fascinating to watch the dogs and sheep communicate. There is a silent animal language that we as humans, scarcely are aware of. Witnessing that unspoken interaction is a precious gift.
It's really interesting, he and the black ewe have a thing/?friendship? she will let him nudge and gently push them to where they need to be. Once in a while she'll look at him as if to say "I got this" and he continues on. It's not the same look that other ewes have - the one that says - "Go AWAY". Love this stuff ❤️ Got to be sort of similar to all of you guys with LGDs and how they protect/bring in their flock when danger is near.