SC Camel Crickets

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Baymule: From now on you must write all your posts in Texan so I can practice my language skills! LOL

Yes that is a Jerusalem Cricket and they look really peculiar. The first time I saw one, I was in the garage and picked up something. That thing jumped from under and scared the life out of me. But when my young children rushed in I had to be cool. :cool:
I pretended that I was screaming to summon them to look at this "cool" bug! ;)

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Possibly harder since you have to learn the nuances as well as the accent and local dialects! LOL

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Speaking in Texan is truly an art form. Once mastered, it marks you whenever you cross state lines as a Texan. That long drawl coupled with quaint colloquialisms particular to regional areas provides immediate recognition.

Whew! Thet there just 'bout fried my lil' ol' pea brain!

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I did a websearch for what Marie and I have been calling a "spicket"--a crawlie that looks like a spider, but your brain belatedly identifies it as a cricket just as your shoe slams down on it. :) They can be quite large, the spread of their legs can be as wide as the width of your hand, but the one I caught last night was as big as your first thumb joint.

After bellering like a calf at a new gate when it jumped past me in the bedroom, I caught it and took it to His Majesty's couch, thinking he might like an evening snack. The girls outside LOVE crickets. 9 Volt took one look, shrieked like a girl and bolted to the other end of the couch.

"What did you do to him?" said Hubby. "I tried to give him a cricket, he hiked up his skirts, screamed 'BUG!' and took off!" So I tucked it into the chick's tub (chick's current name is Cricket, so kinda funny), s/he spotted it this morning, leaped on it, slammed it into the floor a few times to kill it, then ate it. Awww, that's my girl! Er, boy! Whatever! LOL

View attachment 55647
In a dim room, that looks like a spider, BELIEVE me. I have flattened many. ;)
Low! Yuk! Yet another creature I had no Idea it existed.

Latest posts