Scottish Blackface

RustyDHart

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Southern by choice said:
Where would you suggest I start researching the breed? We have never had sheep, would this be an ok breed for a newbie or not? I can shear however and that is the extent of anything sheep for me.

Your photography is beautiful!
You can get info from the SBBU...Scottish Blackface Breeders Union......there is also a breeder by the name of Anne Gentry..she lives in either Virgina or WV. She has some quality stock and also has a sizeable flock. I would stay clear of breeders calling themselves breeders when they only keep 3-5 sheep....hardly contributing to the gene pool and I always wonder how closely inter=bred they are. I have 5 different bloodlines that I've used...nothing comes to the farm that can't better the flock..... Two rams that I used about 5 years ago.....close horns...but nice wool length and great body type.
3034_sheep_pics_111_008.jpg
Sorry so blurred....photo of a photo.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you for the info. I will do a little reading and will contact (I believe I found the breeder you were referring to in VA) when I need more info.

So many sheep, so many breeds!

RustyDHart

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Southern by choice said:
Thank you for the info. I will do a little reading and will contact (I believe I found the breeder you were referring to in VA) when I need more info.

So many sheep, so many breeds!
Anne has some very nice stock...I believe there are some breeders in Pennsylvania and Ohio as well.

RustyDHart

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I've seen some shepherds are already getting lambs...... Mine should start lambing in a week or two...hope to post some photos of the little Scottish blackface.....I'm expecting about 30 lambs this year....down from a few years ago....I didn't keep as many mature ewes as I normally keep. Hope that the lambing season is a smooth one for everyone..... Photo from last Spring.....
3034_sheep_babies_2012_066.jpg

Royd Wood

Reaction score
Same to you Rusty, have a great lambing season
We got off to a bumpy start but are up and away now
That pic is just beautiful

RustyDHart

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Royd Wood said:
Same to you Rusty, have a great lambing season
We got off to a bumpy start but are up and away now
That pic is just beautiful
Thanks...I hope to post some more photos when the lambs are born...I'd love to see photos of everyone elses lambs too...
3034_sheep_babies_2012_064.jpg

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi Rusty, I did call Anne and am on a list. She said lambing would begin February. Think I should call and see where I might be on the waiting list?

RustyDHart

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Southern by choice said:
Hi Rusty, I did call Anne and am on a list. She said lambing would begin February. Think I should call and see where I might be on the waiting list?
Great....Anne has some very nice sheep as well. I'd love to see some photos of your new sheep when they arrive. Keep us posted! Rusty

Peeka52

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Beautiful sheep! I'm more of a goat person, but if I had to have a breed it would probably be this one. I love their size! Not to big and not to small. It's so interesting that ram lambs are born with horns! I do have a question, how do you know who's who? I don't see any ear tags?

RustyDHart

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Peeka52 said:
Beautiful sheep! I'm more of a goat person, but if I had to have a breed it would probably be this one. I love their size! Not to big and not to small. It's so interesting that ram lambs are born with horns! I do have a question, how do you know who's who? I don't see any ear tags?
Not all SBF have the same face and leg pattern...nor do they all have the same wool length and texture......and some may even have the odd spot or two in their wool....plus horn color and shape can be different. I know all of my sheep....who's related....cousins, aunts, nephews....etc. I've watched most of them be born....plus I do keep records. I know this wouldn't help anyone else if I died tomorrow....They wouldn't know which ewe in the pasture was "Miracle"...or "Paisley".....but I do. I was raised with over 100 head of Holstein cattle...and I knew everyone of them too. It works for me ...and the sheep don't have to have some ugly piece of plastic hanging from their ears. Any sheep that leaves the farm does have a scrapie tag secured to their ear before they leave the farm....... If I can ever help you locate some to help get you started....please contact me....they are such a great heritage breed. Thanks, Rusty