Scrapie tag questions

Carmin Rollenhagen

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I received my scrapie tags in the ma today but I have questions. These are the free metal tags. On one side there are 4 letters followed by the number sequence of the tag. The number sequence changes with every tag, so I'm sure that's what it is. The other side has the US seal and MI for our state. Is it possible the first 4 letters Are the premise ID? All the plastic tags have MI followed by numbers, so this is confusing me. I want to be sure I have the correct information when I order other ones. Thanks

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
When you received your tags there should have been a paper that told you your state herd number, and the number of tags you requested. We registered 15 years ago or so when it was a volunteer program (maybe it still is) in CA and we were asked what ID # we wanted on our tags. Our tags have CART1 then another number which is the individual number. CA is the state ID, RT1 is our personal herd ID and the following numbers identify each sheep we tag. The tags on the sheep I purchase in CA have the same sequence of letters and #s.

Carmin Rollenhagen

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
When I requested the tags I talked to the state person by email. When she said my tags were in the mail that was all of the information. When my tags arrived yesterday the package was empty except for the tags. (I'm glad that arent breakable, the package is pretty beat up). I do have a call in to the state to verify, but with the holiday, I know I wont hear back until Thursday or later, which is why I asked. Thank you for the replies :)

Nifty

Herd Master
Administrator
Reaction score
Um....

I know this thread should be moved... but I'm not sure where. Is this a goat thing, or ???

ViolinPlayer123

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Um....

I know this thread should be moved... but I'm not sure where. Is this a goat thing, or ???
Yes.
Capture.JPG

Nifty

Herd Master
Administrator
Reaction score
Ok, thanks! ;)

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Scrapie is the ovine and caprine form of "Mad Cow disease". Transmissable Spongiform Encephalopathy is a fatal neurological disease and can cross the borders between animals to humans.

USDA APHIS has a scrapie eradication program administered by the state USDA where you register your herd and receive special identification ear tags with an assigned herd number. Participation in the program is free. These ear tags are used to track any cases of scrapie back to the herd of origination. Transmission is still debatable except through eating diseased brain or spinal tissue.