Scurs? Possible horns?

GrassFarmerGalloway

Melts for all babies
Reaction score
My goat, Milly, seems to have been dehorned improperly. One of her horn buds is flat, while the other has a place where there seems to be a scur growing. What should I do?

Also, Marshal the saanen seems to be growing horns. He has two large lumps right were his horns should be, but he's a polled breed. Will he have those lumps forever? Do I have to dehorn him?

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
You can have the doe reburned if she does grow a big scur. You MUST wait 6-9 weeks AFTER her first disbudding before you do this to avoid brain damage.

How old is the other? AFAIK, there is no "polled breed" of goat...so he's probably horned if he's under 2 weeks of age and will need to be disbudded. Polled goats will have raised areas of the scull, esp bucks...but it will not be a pointed horn bump.

GrassFarmerGalloway

Melts for all babies
Reaction score
helmstead said:
You can have the doe reburned if she does grow a big scur. You MUST wait 6-9 weeks AFTER her first disbudding before you do this to avoid brain damage.

How old is the other? AFAIK, there is no "polled breed" of goat...so he's probably horned if he's under 2 weeks of age and will need to be disbudded. Polled goats will have raised areas of the scull, esp bucks...but it will not be a pointed horn bump.
I don't know when the first disbudding was, so I'll probably wait nine weeks anyway, just to be on the safe side.

They are both two months old.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I usually reburn the ones who need it w/ in 1 mo. of the first time.
(Nobody ever told me not to....)
It definitely looks like Milly's getting a scur, hard to say on the other one.

I did find out that disbudding some breeds is wayyy different than others this year, when we got our first Toggs. Their eyes swelled and they just didn't bounce back like my Nubs, Boers and Kikos have for the last 10 years. We generally do them at 2-7 days of age.
The Toggs we will wait 1.5-2 weeks to do from now on.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
GrassFarmerGalloway said:
They are both two months old.
By 2 months, he'd have little horns...so you're safe! He's just growing his polled buck bumps, more than likely.

haviris

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yes, I'm thinking they are just his polled bumps. I've got two polled does, both have bumps they are normal. I had one polled kid this year, he didn't start getting his til 1-2 months, and they did start kind of pointy feeling, but quickly turned to normal polled bumps. (mine are nigerian dwarfs)