Seattle, Wa

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to you @Rosebuttons Glad you joined us. If it's a goal you've set, I hope that you achieve it sooner rather than later. As my name implies, I didn't start as early as I wanted or should have. Ah well. No concern, just move forward. Please browse around and make yourself at home!

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hello,
I am Myshalla and I have spent the last 18 months researching animals and homesteading. We sign for our land in 2 weeks and our first goats will be ready to pick up in 6 weeks. My husband and I are so excited to be starting this new chapter in our lives.
:frow Welcome from another goat owner in East Texas. My DH & I moved to Dallas, in June of 2014. We spend 5-1/2 months looking for a place in the country & bought 5 acres of partially wooded land, And moved in Jan. 2015. So, it has been almost three years for us. :celebrate we LOVE doing this!

I had been doing research for a couple years before we moved here. So, I was ready to get started.

Within a couple months we had 4 Nigerian Dwarf wethers, 2 Maremma LGD's (livestock guardian dogs), some chickens and a turkey hen.

We still have the turkey and chickens and have added 23 ducks & two geese.

Last Feb. we bought 2 bred LaMancha dairy goats. They both kidded. One had one kid in March and the other had two kids in April. We sold the four wethers several month back. So, we now have 5 goats. I milk the 2 does every morning & get about 1-1/4 gallons of wonderful, rich, creamy goat milk a day. I have been having fun, learning to make cheese. My favorite is Mozzarella!. :drool I bought a cream separator & also make butter. YUM!

Now that you will have goats, I suggest that you start a journal, so you can look back on your progress. And, as others have said already, photos are ecouraged.

To start a journal, go to the social forum page, click on Members "Backyard Herds" Journals, on that page click on the brown button at the top right of the page that says, "Post New Thread". Make sure your thread name has your user name in it. Then post away.:)

Last edited:

Devonviolet

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi! I'm in Seattle too. Still living in the city, and only beginning my researching and dreaming of acres some day. How exciting that you are starting your adventure! Can't wait to hear more :)
:frow Welcome to you as well, Rosebuttons!

You have come to the right place to learn! I did the same thing, before we found our property. I have learned oodles, from all the wonderful members, here on BYH!

So, browse around and learn. I'm excited for you getting started. Its quite a journey, that I doubt you will regret. We sure don't regret it!
:celebrate :weee :celebrate

Rosebuttons

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcomes! I'm still daydreaming and working on convincing the husband of this dream. I'll probably be researching and learning and reading here on BYH for quite a while before I can put my plans into action. I'm really enjoying living vicariously through other's journals and posts though!

Jeanne Sheridan

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hi! I'm in Seattle too. Still living in the city, and only beginning my researching and dreaming of acres some day. How exciting that you are starting your adventure! Can't wait to hear more :)
Rosebuttons we are south of the sound in Lewis County. If you want to come down and see first hand a starter farm you would be welcome. We started our adventure last spring.

Jeanne Sheridan

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hello,
I am Myshalla and I have spent the last 18 months researching animals and homesteading. We sign for our land in 2 weeks and our first goats will be ready to pick up in 6 weeks. My husband and I are so excited to be starting this new chapter in our lives.
Hi Myshalla. We did the same thing you are about to start about 18 months ago. We are here in W. Washington too but we are south of Olympia. Have fun!

Rosebuttons

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Rosebuttons we are south of the sound in Lewis County. If you want to come down and see first hand a starter farm you would be welcome. We started our adventure last spring.

Thank you Jeanne! I would love to see your farm someday as my planning comes along. What kind of animals do you have?

Jeanne Sheridan

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We have 23 goats, 10 adult and 13 born this last spring. We also have 2 guard llamas. We are 10 miles west of Interstate 5, off highway 6. You had mentioned trying to convince your husband to do this, Friendly goats work magic every time. If you want to come down some time just let me know. We are pretty new to this too so we can talk about some of the issues we had as newbies.
Thank you Jeanne! I would love to see your farm someday as my planning comes along. What kind of animals do you have?

Latest posts