Selling and shipping Rabbits Across the Country

Fishychix

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I breed rabbits and am listed as such in a couple different breeder directories, but I keep getting interested buyers from other states. And none that are anywhere near me, meaning I'd have to either ship them or the buyer would have to figure things out. I have been told that I can ship rabbits, but only find contradictory information on UPS, etc if any info at all. I know that I can travel with rabbits, but have never done it and it seems awfully expensive. I don't intend to travel with them though, I just want to be able to sell them. Honestly, I never thought someone from California would want to buy a rabbit from Ohio with no plan on their part. I've had interest from many different states.
Has anyone ever shipped rabbits? Can it be done successfully? How? Mine are pretty chill, but still, it seems too stressful to me.

LilTxFarmer

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Nope, never have but when you find out how it can be done, let us know.

R2elk

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I breed rabbits and am listed as such in a couple different breeder directories, but I keep getting interested buyers from other states. And none that are anywhere near me, meaning I'd have to either ship them or the buyer would have to figure things out. I have been told that I can ship rabbits, but only find contradictory information on UPS, etc if any info at all. I know that I can travel with rabbits, but have never done it and it seems awfully expensive. I don't intend to travel with them though, I just want to be able to sell them. Honestly, I never thought someone from California would want to buy a rabbit from Ohio with no plan on their part. I've had interest from many different states.
Has anyone ever shipped rabbits? Can it be done successfully? How? Mine are pretty chill, but still, it seems too stressful to me.
All states have their own import rules for all animals. Check with the state Agriculture department of the state of destination to learn what requirements and paper work is needed if the animals are shipped. If traveling with animals, you need to check the regs for each state you are going to pass through.

I believe that only the USPS is allowed to ship live animals. The exception might be when shipping via air. The air line that you plan on using can let you know what their requirements are. The state of destination's requirements still have to be met.

Be sure that you do not list the animal as a pet because that opens a whole different can of liabilities because of a specific Federal law concerning the long distance sales of pets.

Good luck figuring it out. You may get helpful information by contacting your state veterinarian or agriculture department.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
You cannot ship mammals via the mail carrier. It's pretty clear cut to me.

Use planes or ground livestock/rabbit transporters.
Both are expensive, but the bunny vans are cheaper, but still not a great price. $40-100 per rabbit for the van. Problem with the van is that they are crammed together with dozens & dozens of other rabbits, which may or may not be disease riddled. Rabbits are a huge risk, as P and B is rampant and it is extremely easy to contaminate other rabbits. No amount of insurance will help you if any bun is sick and infects your rabbit.

Fishychix

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
All states have their own import rules for all animals. Check with the state Agriculture department of the state of destination to learn what requirements and paper work is needed if the animals are shipped. If traveling with animals, you need to check the regs for each state you are going to pass through.

I believe that only the USPS is allowed to ship live animals. The exception might be when shipping via air. The air line that you plan on using can let you know what their requirements are. The state of destination's requirements still have to be met.

Be sure that you do not list the animal as a pet because that opens a whole different can of liabilities because of a specific Federal law concerning the long distance sales of pets.

Good luck figuring it out. You may get helpful information by contacting your state veterinarian or agriculture department.
Hi Bob! Are the turkey's still gobbling? 😂 (That's my way of asking how you've been)
Thats a lot of states to check in with for the CA person 😳. They can do their homework or find someone much much closer. I will call the state vet or Ag Dept though. It never hurts to have contacts and information at hand.
You cannot ship mammals via the mail carrier. It's pretty clear cut to me.

Use planes or ground livestock/rabbit transporters.
Both are expensive, but the bunny vans are cheaper, but still not a great price. $40-100 per rabbit for the van. Problem with the van is that they are crammed together with dozens & dozens of other rabbits, which may or may not be disease riddled. Rabbits are a huge risk, as P and B is rampant and it is extremely easy to contaminate other rabbits. No amount of insurance will help you if any bun is sick and infects your rabbit.
Yeah, it doesn't really sound worth it to me. I mean if they want to buy it bad enough then they can figure it out and make the arrangements. That was my thinking pretty much all along but wanted to at least put some effort into it.

Thank you both!