Senile Texas Aggie - comic relief for the rest of you

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
ETA: Also, I intended to start documenting as I go the books we have finished reading as we finish them. We recently finished Smart Ass by Margaret Winslow, and we will finish tonight Enlightenment Now by Stephen Pinker.

Senile Texas Aggie

Hey!! A book about ME!! :weee

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
All BYHers,

My Beautiful Gal and I decided to play in the mud this morning. We started back on the boggy area which I showed recently in a previous post. When I last visited Lowe's in Ft. Smith, I bought 2 10 ft section of 4" Schedule 40 pipe, along with what was supposedly 100 ft of 4" flexpipe (turned out to be more like 50 ft). We decided to dig a trench across path where a tiny stream flows. I placed the 10 ft Schedule 40 pipe to see how well it would cover the path. It isn't long enough but with the second one they will be. I also decided that maybe this area may stay boggy most of the year, even with a pipe running across the path to help it drain. So I am thinking of building a bridge across the boggy area. So I measured the distance from one end of the boggy area to the other, and it turned out to be 33 ft (from where I am standing to the white arrow in the picture):
20190117_112014.jpg

What I am currently considering is building a bridge 8 ft wide by 32 ft long. I want the bridge strong enough to support the tractor, as I plan on building a trail through the woods eventually to the western most edge of the south mowed pasture. I figured that I would have concrete blocks for supports at each end and in middle parts, both lengthwise and widthwise. Then I would lay 2 2"x6"x8' bolted together lengthwise. I would have either 3 or 4 of these beams going lengthwise in parallel, and would join the beams together long enough to make 32' total. Then I would lay 2x4x8ft widthwise the length of the bridge. I would use pressure-treated wood for all of this. I have yet to estimate the cost, but I imagine it will be $300+. So I am looking for comments on the good and bad of my bridge design, and recommendations for perhaps better ways to do it.

Comments?

Senile Texas Aggie

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
All BYHers,

My Beautiful Gal and I decided to play in the mud this morning. We started back on the boggy area which I showed recently in a previous post. When I last visited Lowe's in Ft. Smith, I bought 2 10 ft section of 4" Schedule 40 pipe, along with what was supposedly 100 ft of 4" flexpipe (turned out to be more like 50 ft). We decided to dig a trench across path where a tiny stream flows. I placed the 10 ft Schedule 40 pipe to see how well it would cover the path. It isn't long enough but with the second one they will be. I also decided that maybe this area may stay boggy most of the year, even with a pipe running across the path to help it drain. So I am thinking of building a bridge across the boggy area. So I measured the distance from one end of the boggy area to the other, and it turned out to be 33 ft (from where I am standing to the white arrow in the picture):
View attachment 57228

What I am currently considering is building a bridge 8 ft wide by 32 ft long. I want the bridge strong enough to support the tractor, as I plan on building a trail through the woods eventually to the western most edge of the south mowed pasture. I figured that I would have concrete blocks for supports at each end and in middle parts, both lengthwise and widthwise. Then I would lay 2 2"x6"x8' bolted together lengthwise. I would have either 3 or 4 of these beams going lengthwise in parallel, and would join the beams together long enough to make 32' total. Then I would lay 2x4x8ft widthwise the length of the bridge. I would use pressure-treated wood for all of this. I have yet to estimate the cost, but I imagine it will be $300+. So I am looking for comments on the good and bad of my bridge design, and recommendations for perhaps better ways to do it.

Comments?

Senile Texas Aggie

Okay @greybeard this is where your expertise ( or your experience) is needed.

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
good to know that you and your bride are still enjoying farm life. don't have a clue whether the bridge idea is good or bad, will wait expectantly for others opinions.
give me a holler soon and we'll all meet for lunch.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
At the "summer" (mostly) place that DW's quite extended family owns there are several wet areas. They cut down trees of similar diameter and run those the length of the bridge then use rough cut lumber probably 6" to 8" wide for the planks. It would probably hold up to a vehicle but neither the bridges nor trail are wide enough and they don't have any "off road" vehicles anyway.