SheepGirl's 2014 Lambing Thread

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Prolapse went in on its own for the most part. Baby is doing good, I never saw him drink before I left to go to school yesterday so I was happy to come home to a baby with a full belly. He's very stubborn, didn't want help with getting Rosie teat. So i was like ok fine do it on your own haha. Still didn't weigh him but I will when I get home tonight.

he's a cute fluffy Lil thing, reminds me of Emmett when he was a baby.

20140304_120929.jpg

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
New baby weighed 10.4 lbs this am.

Lost a triplet this afternoon, #18. I found him about a foot away from the heat lamp laying flat on his side, limp, and cold. I brought him in, used a blow dryer on him, put him in warm water, and blow dried him some more. I brought my dog in and she started licking him and things were looking hopeful because he was starting to open his eyes but then he started to flail around and he passed away. I was trying to save him for an hour before he died. He wasn't dehydrated so I think a ewe (more than likely Rosie or Katy Perry) knocked into him and maybe he got stepped on...but he wasn't able to get up and move to the heat lamp so he got cold. He could've also had some internal injuries but I'm not sure. My parents liked him the most because he was the friendliest because he was the one I supplemented with a bottle.

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
20140304_202301.jpg

Idon't know why my phone always uploads photos in the wrong direction. They werent taken that way lol. But 18 is the lamb behind 19.

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I got off at 2 this morning...but it ended up being 3 due to day light savings. Well i had to drive two coworkers home so i didn't get home til around 4. Sat in my car until 430ish on Facebook and went inside and put my coat on to check on the sheep. I'm so glad i did, i was actually thinking about not going out. Well I saw all the sheep outside and they all stood up and walked over to me except for Bella. So i went in the field to check her out. She had a head hanging out of her rear end. So i got some grain and I led her into the sheep shack. Of course all the other pigs followed me in, too. She wouldn't lay down so I called my mom and woke her up and asked her to come out and hold Bella whole I try to figure things out. His head was so swollen, but he was sucking on my finger so I knew he was still alive. i tried to go in and pull the legs out but all I felt was shoulder. His legs were so far down I didn't think I would be able to pull them out. So i called the vet and she came out. Apparently she hit a deer on her way here. No damage was done. But she killed the deer.

anyway lol its about 40 min after I call her that she arrives. Bella had been pushing and her breathing got real shallow. Vet lubed up, went in, and tried for 10 minutes to unstuck the baby. She didn't think he was still alive. She really had to reach down and pull the legs up and out because they went straight down. She was able to get him out and amazingly he was alive.

His head is huge. At least 3x the size it should be. We got some colostrum from Bella and we gave him 2 oz through a tube. Bella got some banamine, oxytocin, and calcium. Baby is fine and under a heat lamp. Poor thing can't stand because his head Is so swollen and heavy and it makes him off balance lol.

Bella is chewing cud right now but seems uninterested in her baby. We will see how the day goes on. I don't want a bottle baby lol.

I don't know why all my ewes are having dystocia issues. I have had to help everyone so far.

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Here is Bella and her baby in the new 8x8 addition to the sheep shack. Yes that is a baby gate lol. I don't have anything else handy.

20140309_080730.jpg

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Honestly, I think it is the year. So many other people (myself included) are having lots of strange problems.

One bottle baby isn't so bad....it's better than 9! (3 of those are goats though)

Latest posts