Sheepskins back from the tanners

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
I butchered these lambs back in March and salted them then. I sent them out towards the end of June and they came in yesterday. I haven't seen them in person yet since they were shipped home but will on Friday!

It is amazing to see how they went from this

To this!

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
I sent them to Stern Tanning in Milwaukee.

I need to get a better picture of them. My mom just laid them out of the box and didn't fluff or unfold them really.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oooooooo........makes me want to stick my toes in all that softness! :lol: What are you going to do with them? And if you don't mind, what did it cost to have them processed? If you do mind, just give one of these :smack

:lol: :lol: :lol:

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
With shipping it averaged out to about $70/ hide. It cost me almost 70 just to ship it out there and I definitely could have cut shipping a little if I had more time( it was a mess), 45 dollars a hide (40 if you send more than 4), and I think about $50 for return shipping.

Right now there's one for me, one for my sister, and two for my parents....I'm not certain that my mom is that big of a fan of them. Since at one point in time they did actually have names. You would have to fight my dad for them :D

Southern- I'm not going to lie...I loved Jacobs before, but now I am seriously considering getting a ewe to raise wethers just for this.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ah... We have a ewe that we could still use for wool, but it would be nice to raise a bunch of wethers for the hide and meat for the freezer! Since our sheep aren't that friendly it wouldn't be hard to do. :hide
I love how they came out! :love What kind of sheep were they?

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
mainly Rambouillet and horn Dorsets....A little bit of Suffolk down the line as well.

I have one ewe, well I guess two now since she gave me a ewe lamb, that produces pitch black lambs. If I get any wethers this spring they will most definitely be tanned.

I am hoping that we will have way more black babies with her, her daughter, and then her grandson being productive.

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
They were yearlings that hadn't been sheared. I would go with at least an index fingers length of wool. These guys were actually midgets at a year old...I had a turkey that dressed out to the same size, but as you can see made fairly decent sized rugs.

Latest posts