Shetland ewe died...(upsetting update, make that two down)

nomad

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Cornish Heritage said:
Alfalfa can present some issues with too much iron and cause anemia. This sounds contradictory, however, if we remember that everything is interconnected, we can find the answer. When there is a heavy load of iron, it causes an imbalance with copper and copper levels need to be sufficient to process iron in the body. We used to feed our dairy goats alfalfa pellets as a treat while milking them, but we could not figure out why they would stay anemic (checking for pickness under the eyelids). We did some more research and discovered that the alfalfa pellets were hitting them with too much iron. We took them off the alfalfa pellets and within 1 day, their anemia began to disappear.
This is very interesting Nomad & one, yet again I had not thought of! LOL! But you're right in saying how hard it is to find quality hay. We feed an alfalfa/grass mix but I have been feeding some alfalfa pellets too! The sheep love the Redmond's Conditioner - it is really good stuff.

Liz
Liz,

What are your observations concerning the alfalfa pellets? Did you notice paleness (anemia) in your flock as well? We wondered why our Dorpers maintained a lot of pinkness only eating grass - especially since we thought that the dairy goats should be in a much better position getting the alfalfa pellets. My two favorite words now are "observe and adapt".

Also, what are your thoughts now that MDNR has taken the position that it needs to save the world from every pig other than those raised by large commercial breeders?

marliah

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks nomad, I will dig into that information. I appreciate your taking the time to post and link it for me. I agree completely, I have had similar discussions related to the human race and our being dumbed down, made unhealthy and our dependence on mainstream medicine. After watching two of my children suffer from vaccine injury I began to question the whole mainstream medical movement, after further research into cancer treatments, the mortality rate of people who use chemotherapy versus natural remedies, I was sold on searching for a natural holistic approach to dealing with health problems, preferably before they ever happen.

I agree we were put here by a Creator and I believe He has given us everything we need in nature to enjoy good health.

Thanks again for your time and encouragement. After these events I was left questioning my stance on using only natural remedies when possible, and I needed to encouragement to carry on, and to research more and try again, but not to give up.

nomad

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
marliah said:
On the minerals, do you mix baking soda and redmonds in with the minerals? If so a what ratios? Or do you offer them all in separate containers? The person I purchased one of my goats from had mentioned that too, the baking soda, should I just have a separate container of that readily available to them?

Also what would you do to address the worms since there seems to be worms present here? Just work on strengthening the immune system or would you treat against them at this point as well? I was looking at the herbal wormer on fiasco farms as an option.
Forgot to answer these.

We separate all minerals and sodium bicarb into separate containers. Reason being- when the animal wants a specific nutrient such as salt or copper or whatever, it can select that specific component. When everything is mixed together, it may get too much salt when trying to get enough copper and will stop consuming due to the salt and not get enough copper. Have all minerals available to the animals at all times so they can consume when necessary. I have found that sometimes our animals won't touch anything for a week or two and then suddenly you are filling their containers every other day.

There are worms on every farm. We don't manage to get rid of worms, we manage for optimum health so the animals can resist the worms and keep them from overburdening their systems. As I said in an earlier post, we have not lost any animals to worms for several years now since we have changed our management practices. I guarantee that our animals do indeed have some worms in their system, but their immune systems are strong and have adapted to fighting that battle. It will take you a little time to develop a resistent herd. If you keep selecting those animals that thrive without deworming and feed them right, they will respond. We did lose some animals early on when we stopped deworming, but that was our fault for having originally taken them down the wrong path and they were not strong enough to pull through.

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
I raise heavy wool breeds but research getting some Icelandics a while back. after shearing I read it is recommended for them to have access to shelter for about a week while their bodies become accustom to the change. As for the wire crate I don't see anything wrong with it as long as it wasn't too cold or wet. We transported a ram about 100 mile in one. I don't see how its different form livestock racks. I think it could have been a combo of the stress of travel coupled with worms.

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
Goatherd said:
Brown Sheep, you said:
As for the wire crate I don't see anything wrong with it as long as it wasn't too cold or wet
Marliah said:
it was a rainy cold day too and the ride was about 45-60 minutes
Oppps...forgot that as I was reading the other replies....duh *slaps head*

marliah

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
well I have a very upsetting update, after the death of the first ewe, the buyer insisted on supplementing the other ewe with a whole slew of supplements she had never had and completely changed her diet overnight, despite my telling her that was a bad idea and could lead to death.

Well sure enough today I am told the other ewe died.

I am very upset about this, the buyer listened to nothing I told her and disregarded any information I sent and I really do believe the second sheeps death is due to the overnight complete change in diet. And she is trying to say parasites killed this one too.

This whole situation stinks and am very upset by how it turned out.

I am very sad by all this, my two girls that I really cared about are both dead and they were fine here with me for a year and were acting completely normal the day they left. I just wish I had kept them! :( poor girls!

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure the change in diet has anything to do with the second ewe's death...she likely died from what the first ewe died from.

Here's why I say that:
Usually in September two of my sheep go to the fair to be on display for the fiber optics exhibit (fiber as in wool, not technology). Every time, they had not been fed any grain whatsoever prior to fair (as in, within the past two plus months), they had just been on pasture...well the first day at fair, they each get 1 lb of grain and 3 lbs of hay (grain helps them to get friendly fast). They kept that diet all nine days and then when they got home, they didn't get any grain or hay and they just went back out on pasture. No ill side effects. I know people say you should change feed gradually, and I agree, but these two times I have been lucky when they got an abrupt change in feed.

Latest posts