Shortages

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes it is!! Very interestingly different. 🥰

And look at that udder! I meant milk as to use, not emergency things. Most often a tame doe/ewe can be convinced to be milked within a few sessions, sometimes. But you need to be planning and handling her with this in mind. 😁

Eve has a meaty butt...perfect for meat sheep.😊

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
And you can freeze milk, flat, in ziplock bags.
Milk can also be canned. I ran out of freezer space and just started canning it all - used a WW11 Food for Victory Kerr Home Canning book of my grandmother's. I used the pressure canner method. The milk lasted in quart jars for years.

Canning Fresh Milk
Cool fresh milk to room temperature. Strain fresh milk into quart jars within 1/2" of top. Put on cap and screw band until tight.
Process in pressure canner 10 minutes at 10 lbs. pressure OR
Process in water bath canner 60 minutes.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
How did it taste? That's been my issue, didn't like taste.
I didn't care how it tasted - we weren't going to drink it! I canned it for the calves and goat kids. I ran out of room in the freezers and didn't want to spend $$$ on replacer. The kids and calves didn't care and drank it fine.

CLSranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
IMO Nubians have the best milk, it is the highest in butterfat. They are like the Jerseys of the dairy goats.

What if you DON'T like Jersey or Nubian milk. Growing up I always thought it was the processing that changed the taste of store bought milk. Later I found it was just the breed difference. Also later my brother bought a Holstein and I still loved the fresh milk. (That was before i became lactose intolerant)
We had a Jersey and a nubian for milking as a kid. I never got to like it without lots of something else such as cocoa or in cereal.
Side note. I hadn't had fresh milk for probably 10 years before I quit shaking the store bought jug before drinking it.
:lol:
Same question to @Mini Horses or whomever knows the "Holstein" of goats. I'm not trying to make butter, so I don't need the richness and cream that others prefer. If I ever get a few more acres I'd like to add a few goats. I'd love to have a boer buck to throw some edible baby's out, but think goats are an easy, cheap, milker with milk that is great for kids, puppies or other things that may have stomach issues.

Easy hah, well they are easy to milk. It's the rest of the time they are a royal pain in the arse. I just love watching them run and jump from the top of the horse trailer to the top of the truck and back and forth while they have so much fun. Oh and don't forget running right through several strands of hot wire that's inside a real fence.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
@CLSranch ...I have Saanen, heavy producers. They have enough cream for me. They have lower cream than nubian. I love the taste...yes, shake the jug! 😁. Always wanted a cow for the cream, to make butter. Instead, I bought a cream separator. Yeah -- cheaper than a cow and gives me the "hidden" cream. Honestly, the milk is like taste of whole milk from store. Little heavier in cream at start of lactation to get babies growing!

Now I went back into Boer goats this year -- after 20 yrs without -- and bred all dairy girls (15) to them this winter. Those kids have fast grow genetics from Boer and when you have the volume of milk from dairy moms, the size and growth is amazing!! If you get back into goat ownership, do it! Dairy x meat. I have Boer does also. But these mix kids are great. From a SS homestead standpoint, it's a win/win. I think you'd be pleased with both the meat & dairy from these breeds and mix.

Goat meat market is up and growing. Sheep? Another easy small farm meat. But I want my dairy -- so goats preferred to provide both.

Last edited: