Shortages

Show Sebright

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
when I kept seeing chickens destroyed all I was thinking was the devastating AI going around.
  1. 3/4/22 294,800 chickens destroyed at farm in Stoddard, Missouri
  2. 3/4/22 644,000 chickens destroyed at egg farm in Cecil, Maryland
  3. 3/8/22 243,900 chickens destroyed at egg farm in New Castle, Delaware
  4. 3/10/22 663,400 chickens destroyed at egg farm in Cecil, MD
  5. 3/10/22 915,900 chickens destroyed at egg farm in Taylor, IA

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I saw a list of fires on Patriot Supply, with descriptive reports on many. The avian flu destruction was also devastating! Yep, it's shown up in store pricing and availability.
Notice the fertilizer component fires and processing plants.

Boils down to egg, bird, red meat having heavy loss and process failures. While such fires are not uncommon, this many in a concentrated time frame is highly unusual and questionable. Supposedly investigating. The flu issues...it happens. Sadly. But so many of these fires happened when people weren't there...🤔🙄...makes you wonder!!🙈🙉🙊

At least there's plenty of TP🤭

murphysranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you, @farmerjan I thought I had filled it out, but I guess not. It won't save a pic for my avatar, altho over on TEG, it does that easily.

I'm moving from So Oregon on a golf course in a drought, to Vancouver WA suburb with 2.6 acres and tons of rain and water. For a 4.5 hour drive, its amazingly very very different up here.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you, @farmerjan I thought I had filled it out, but I guess not. It won't save a pic for my avatar, altho over on TEG, it does that easily.

I'm moving from So Oregon on a golf course in a drought, to Vancouver WA suburb with 2.6 acres and tons of rain and water. For a 4.5 hour drive, its amazingly very very different up here.
Ah! That is where you are going! Vancouver is supposedly nice (I have never been).

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Has anyone been paying attention to the stock market today? Down 800 pts at 11 a.m..... after down 700 pts the end of the week last week. Gas gone up again....a couple more cents....
I got an offer in the mail from a bank I recently started using here local... Got a 200 bonus for direct deposit when I opened a checking account and since I was getting really unhappy with the credit union I had been using for 30 years when they could neither consider me for a mtg on the house nor the loan for the explorer.... I switched my SS direct deposit to this bank. My paycheck still goes to the credit union account. Anyway.... The credit card offer was for 15 months NO INTEREST, for balances switched from another account,,, and also bonus points for paying certain bills with it... including electric and cable, phone, and other stuff... I had a balance left on one card that I have been working on because of taking out the loan for the explorer... with a high interest rate... so I just opened the cc with this bank and put in the request to transfer the balance... The money I save every month on the high interest rate will pay this off in less than the 15 months... and since I already pay my wi-fi with a cc, I am going to see about paying the electric ...if I can get around the stupid fee they charge...and get bonuses for doing it.
Anyway... what I was getting at is for anyone that does use and pay off their credit cards etc... to pay attention to these kind of offers. They can save you money, and if you are a good manager, can actually help you to do some things... I got the electric netting and paid off the cc just last week so used the cc money for 45 days at no cost... got what I needed when I wanted it...

But, as things get more and more difficult to find, it also allows you to get something when you find it, and then stretch your budget so you can get it paid off without getting caught up in high interest payments. You have to be careful of how you use it... but it has helped me to get further ahead here lately than I ever was. Juggling a bit, but using someone else's money to my benefit. With the cost of everything going up, sometimes it makes sense to get some things now and pay for them a little later.... if you can do it without paying through the nose for interest rates and such.

It is looking like we are really going to go into a bad spiral .... Funny, but I was just thinking about my nephew... he is probably going apoplectic with the stock market drops....yet I cannot feel bad for him anymore....

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here it is Thursday... and the stock market dropped another 700+ points today. Below 30,000... I don't have very much money in the market since I had taken alot out to use as downpayment on the house... moved a great amount into a very safe, not based on the market, investment... yes I am losing a little money with these drops in the few allocations I have in the stock market, but I am moving nearly all of that out now... it is interest I have accumulated not my actual own money invested.... I will not gain much in the other allocation, but it is "safe".....and I still put in the amount I need to get the match from work too.

There has been alot of talk about the farm situation, the costs of inputs like seed and fertilizer and fuel.... There is going to be shortages of certain kinds of food. There is a drought out in parts of the west. Friends are talking about hay shortages in Texas... about cutting hay in the morning, it is "CRUNCHY" BY MID DAY.. AND YIELDS ARE HALF.... so cattle are getting sold....
And with the horrible heat wave that has hit the central plains states... the deaths in the feedlots are reaching unheard of numbers.
NOW understand I do not like feedlots.... the lack of shade and such for animals. That said, I understand the mindset of farmers that have them, that they have saved the farms over the years by diversifying into feedlots to use the grains grown on the farms... using the product right there so that there is not the transporting of feed stocks.... DON'T agree with the way they are run in many ways.... but they serve a purpose in supplying the beef to the masses.
There have been THOUSANDS of cattle ready for harvesting, dying in this extreme and unexpected heat wave. That not only is horrible for the cattle... it takes that much more beef out of the pipeline, it causes the cost of the ones there to go up since the feedlot operator has to make back some of the cost... If the feedlots cannot deliver the numbers that are contracted, then the plants operate at lower capacity... workers get laid off.... less available to ship to the outlets... supermarkets and such....

Find a local supplier and buy your meat from them. Get your pantry stocked up with some of the staples... and grow a garden and can or freeze your own food... OR patronize a farmers market and support your local hardworking farmer and gardener....

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sad about the cattle losses to heat stress. Saw that on net. 😔

It will get worse, as we've all been saying. Floods out west will roll out more problems and losses. So many things are going wrong, many of weather, many of people origination. Those who are not paying attention are going to suffer badly. Those paying attention will take action to prepare but, it will be a hardship.

Difference will be survivability.

Last edited:

Latest posts