Sick kid!!! HELP ASAP!!!! PLEASE

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Vet's input is generally valuable if you can. Using the doe's colostrum over replacement is also a good idea and always preferred. Does he have a suckle reflex? Have you tried a bottle instead of a syringe? The red nipples with the yellow base are great for newborns.

Agree with selenium and if you can't get it from your vet, you can get selenium in a paste that is over the counter. Your farm store may have it. I keep it on hand during kidding season. Warmth and nourishment will go a long way to helping this guy if there's not a major internal problem.

Has he passed meconium - the black, sticky first poop? After that, you shouldn't see "runny" poop. Normal for a newborn will be soft, pasty and yellow for a while before they start making little pellets.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
So very sorry. But glad the vet could give you a reason. :hugs sometimes we can't do it all. I hope the two remaining do ok.

Show Sebright

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Update: We took him to the vet and unfortunately as they were getting stuff to tube feed him, he passed away. They said it was cuz if an infection in utero and he was one that was effected by it (as well as a still born). Thank you all for the replies and help.
I’m so sorry. It’s so hard to lose a kid that was just born. I guess we can all learn from this and look out for signs of infection in our newborns. :hugs

CaliFarmsAR

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank you all. Definitely hard, but you win some you lose some, guess that’s just life