Taffy birthed

MiniMilkers

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I will read it. Thank you. Are the levels in my area in a good range?

Here are a couple pics I took of Taffy before cleaning her pen. Since I see her everyday, I can not tell if she's starting to fill out at all. Udder is slightly more noticeable.
Taffy 8.17.2.jpg
taffy 8.17.jpg

MiniMilkers

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
After feeding her tonight I noticed her vulva is elongated and puffy. Her udder has only a slight change in size. Is there a normal time frame when does vulva becomes puffy and elongated?

I am stressing over her kidding and not being able to feed the kids.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Every goat is a bit different. What you want to learn is how to feel for the ligaments. Once she starts softening you will watch close... changes in udder , behavior... once ligs are gone she will kid. Some lose ligs slow others practically overnight. Google ligaments goat labor. Look at lots of pics and view as many videos as you can.

MiniMilkers

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Will look up how to check her ligaments.

I have puppy pads, Iodine, bulb syringe, scissors, thermometer, lube & gloves. Now i'm wondering if I should get a bag of colostrum powder & bottles just in case?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Get colostrum from mom, powder is crap. Bottles are great. Soda Pop bottle and pritchard nipples. Smart thinking!
You will want a roll of papertowels and some towels (for helping to dry and stimulate)
Remember to tie the cord off befor cutting if it is even necessary.

Also have some nutri drench on hand for the doe.

Also, just and FYI. Nigerians are hands down the hardiest goats there are. It is extremely rare for pregnancy toxemia or milk fever etc.
They pretty much are the easiest goat there is. So.... don't worry yourself to death! :)

MiniMilkers

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I will be heading to tsc tomorrow for the pritchard nipples & nutri drench. I have paper towels & towels just not in the kidding bag. I will add them.

Trying not to stress. With her being under weight, it's stressing me out. This morning she is dropped. When should I give her a birth shave? I tried feeling for her ligaments. I can not find them.
Taffy drop.png

MiniMilkers

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Last night she stopped eating. She stood in a corner of the pen head pressing and breathing really heavy. That lasted roughly 6 hours. Then she would lay down, get up, head press, still breathing rapidly. Not sure how long that went on. I fell asleep. Woke up at 3am to her having contractions (set up a webcam to watch her). Not sure if she was pushing with them or not. The webcam is not the greatest. She would be laying, then roll on her side with her back legs fully stretched out. It was happening every 5-8 mins. That lasted 2 hours. Now she's up acting normal, eating and drinking. Udder still not big, has gotten lower though.
Do goats go through B&H type contractions?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
She may be in the psoitioning phase. Do you see any discharge and are you still working on feeling ligs?

Please put a cinder block or something similar in her pen. They will stand on that to help get the kids in the right position. You will see they put their front feet on it and stretch and turn etc.
This is a really helpful aide for them.

MiniMilkers

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
How long can that phase last? I just put a good size rock in the pen for her. She has small amount of white goo. I can not feel her ligs. I shaved her yesterday and shaved up higher where you're suppose to feel the ligs. I believe her ligs are gone. Due to an indent that was not there when I first shaved her. Best pic I could get.
Taffy ligs.jpg