Taffy birthed

Donna R. Raybon

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Not to my knowledge, no BH.
Grinding teeth, head pressing, rapid breathing would make me reach for thermometer and check temp. And, I would have given B vitamins (does no harm and always good idea with head pressing, ) checked ruminations in case of acidosis.
If no fever, I would be thinking acidosis?? If temp below normal then milk fever possible.

Listeriosis always on the list, too. Especially with immune suppressed pregnant animal. Fever is present.

Grinding teeth, head pressing, rapid breathing are the bad news trifecta in goats! Glad she is back to normal!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Actually all those things can go on and off for a few days. Sometimes positioning and discomfort set in. When our does are carrying 4-5 kids (Nigerians) they can act like they are going in labor for a week. The biggest thing for them is that they can have trouble breathing when laying down. If she has white goo it could be anytime.

All of the things Donna mentioned are real things but would be so extremely rare in a Nigerian. Standard breed goats are more prone to issues.

Make sure you aren't trying to shove groceries into her. Give good hay and feed appropriately. A big mistake that many make on a thin or undernourished goat is to try and stuff them full of feed.

Donna R. Raybon

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yep, be careful as pointed out by SBC. Dunne flora/fauna can be overwhelmed by drastic changes.
You can not go wrong with a good quality hay. Long stemmed fiber keeps digestive tract healthy.

Sometimes due to fetus crowding the grain has to be fed in smaller portions more often. I have had does carrying quads that the last 6 weeks needs grain ration fed four rather than twice daily. Not feeding any more than recommended, just feeding devided into four portions.

I worry when they are acting strange and pregnant.

MiniMilkers

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
She has alfalfa & minerals out 24/7. She is getting grain, I just upped her to 3/4 C total for the day. 1/4 C 3x a day. Fresh water 3x a day as well.

She only had a small amount of white goo this morning. I have not seen her pass anymore. Have not seen her act like she's having contractions since this morning. She seems uncomfortable. Lots of panting and stretching, getting up and down. She is peeing A LOT. More than she has been the whole time.

With the possibility of it still being a while before she kids. I'm trying not to stress. I moved her into a smaller pen for the night. Where the webcam can see the whole area, just in case.

MiniMilkers

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
She is back to normal. Her udder is slowly getting bigger. Not sure how big her udder will get since she is under weight. Pic just taken.
Taffy Udder.png

MiniMilkers

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
No symptoms of going into labor anytime soon. She has clear goo today.
Taffy udder 2.png

MiniMilkers

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
It has been 30 days since I brought Taffy home. She is up to 57.6 lb from 49.8 lbs. Her over all condition is looking better, but still needs more calories.
Here is a pic of her udder this morning. She has clear goo here and there. Nothing major.

Taffy 9.5.18.2.png