Skunks

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have been spared so far. I know that they eat meat, we would put out meat away from camp so they were attracted to something else. Not sure it worked but they carried off a slice of bologna in record time. Mean little buggers.

Amiga

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have the top bar hive strapped down, as well as up on top of a couple of concrete blocks, surrounded by electric polywire fence. It is not a guarantee, but a deterrent. And there is plenty of easier eats in the woods around us, I think.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
The skunks will come to the hive at night and tap on the front of the box. As the bees come out to investigate they scoop them up and eat them. The can decimate a hive in a few days.I have mine strapped down as well, no good for skunk protection though. Funny thing is that I have not smelled any skunks since I lost the hive. Makes me wonder.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Maybe for us...I am sure the bees aren't nearly as fascinated as we might be. Nature is amazing though. I also had two Western Fence Lizards that would hang out by the hive and wait for bees to come too close :(