small weight class pigs.

ohwell

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'm curious are there any other pigs in the 250-300 lbs top size along with the American Guinea Hog, and the Gloucestershire Old pig. Eventually I want to have a farm and I'm busy trying to put all the peices together so any experience would be appreciated.

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I thought Tamworths were pretty small as well? There is a farm near me that raises them on pasture and they were in the paper recently for being apart of the slow food movement here locally and there was a photo of one of the girls with the pigs and they didn't look very big lol.

I love the Gloucester Old Spots :D

ohwell

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
The Tamworth seems like It's more in the 250-330 kg range. Just a little to big for what I am planning. Thanks for the response.

Livinzoo

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have old spots. They are very docile breed. One of my females is about 450lbs.

ohwell

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Livinzoo said:
I have old spots. They are very docile breed. One of my females is about 450lbs.
Yeah I've just found more sources that say the Old Spots are a medium to large breed. So I guess boars are just south of 800lbs. Yet I've read on other places where the boars are not even 400lbs. Guess it must be the strains.