So confused

Aped

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Okay so my oldest Nigerian doe has had a really swollen vulva since the weekend. Nothing I ever noticed before. Now she has had a chance to be bred since mid October and I finally moved full-time with my buck sometime in december or january. I posted a topic about my frustration on her not being bred a while back.

But now I can't tell if she is swollen because she is in heat or because she will kid soon. If she was actually bred in october then she would be due March 11th. However, I feel nothing down there when palpating and she has not bagged up. If she was planning to, I assume she would be cutting it pretty close.

There is no discharge of any kind. If she is in heat she is not allowing herself to be bred. I have never seen her stand for my buck. Anyone know what the deal could be?

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If she were in heat, I would suspect she'd allow a buck to breed her. If she is bred and her due date is March 11th, she may just now be starting her udder development. I have a FF doe due March 11th also, and hard to tell she's got any evidence of an udder unless you feel (which she dances around like she's been in fire ants when you do that). I would think since she's showing no signs of heat that she may be bred and you should know for sure in about 3 weeks. :)