Soap makers?

MTKitty

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Not a food recipe, but I missed the "miscellaneous" category.

My project for this winter is to make my own soap. I've been reading/studying the process, so I'm pretty comfortable with tackling that part (cold process). I still need a few utensils and containers for handling. What I need now is a good source for the basics -- oils/fats, especially. Maybe caustic soda, but I'll check the local hardware store as my first choice.

So! Any soap makers out there willing to share their favorite suppliers for consumable supplies?

I'd also be open to a goat milk soap recipe as I expect when I get goats, they will provide more milk than I can drink or feed off to the other critters.

TYIA.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I bought food grade lye. Will have to find invoices to say where. Most oils can now be purchased in stores...Walmart has expanded their selections greatly. Used to have to order things like coconut oil, not now. However, items like Shea butter generally ship in. The amount of milk is pretty small...plenty but, a few ounces, not pints.

Working tomorrow but will pull my file over weekend. You may have a source nearby, I used to but cost was better from supplier in bulk. Probably some sites I used for calculating mixes...???

MTKitty

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thank you! No rush on the info; I need a few more equipment type things before I take the plunge.

I’m relieved to hear much of the stuff can be found in local stores. Mail order is fine, but there’s nothing like instant gratification and opening packages as soon as you get home. 😉

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Palomino goat milk also makes goat milk soap. I got some from her to give as some gifts. Tag her and I am sure she will get back to you in a week or so. Right now she is at the "World's"..... she shows miniature horses and has some very good ones... I have never attempted it so am of NO HELP...

MTKitty

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
At @Mini Horses suggestion, I checked websites for local stores (chain type, unfortunately). It looks like I can get supplies for a basic soap for under $30. Best part is quantities are sufficient to make a couple of batches.

That just leaves figuring out proportions for milk soaps when the time comes. :weee

Nommie Bringeruvda Noms

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I make my own tallow, and find my macadamia nut oil at a local store, but usually end up buying my mango butter, shae butter, and cocoa butter either through Amazon or mountain rose herbs dot com. I'll be teaching a close neighbor, in the next couple weeks. I use both hot and cold processes, depending on what kind of final result I'm looking for. I'm not super experienced, but I've been making my own facial bars(cp), shampoo/body bars(hp), and household cleaner bars(hp) for about 2years, and developed my own recipes for the personal ones, based on what my skin and hair like.

Latest posts