Severne

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
She farrowed eight weeks aback. Everything was fine. My one concern was in that she lost somewhere around 10 pounds. And a couple weeks aback she had some bloody spots on her udder. That was both fixed and now just as we were beginning weaning piglets she gets sick or injured! It was completely fine two days ago, but yesterday I found her a little bit more tired than usual. Today, she can barely walk! With much squealing, I helped her to his feet. She ate breakfast this morning. I had to keep babies out so she wouldn’t have to eat with them from the food. She was worse this afternoon when I checked of her again. She was laying in the mud, and would not stand, unless I helped her up. But, when she stood, one leg was crisscrossed with the other. She was trying not to put weight on either of them. I wondered why and that’s when I thought she was very ill. I don’t know what do do. She can stand, but it’s difficult and when she does she doesn’t walk. I’m separating her from her babies. But it going to be VERY hard to transport her, because she won’t walk the length of the way to the other sty. Need advice. Please. Thank you all so much!

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Could she have milk fever? Some of her symptoms seem to match those of a cow with milk fever. Try calcium?

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mastitis can commonly happen right after farrowing or right at weaning. Do any of her teats look or feel different?

Is she pooping normally and regularly? Does she have a temperature? Do she have any sort of foul smell from her backend other then the usual?

If she is pooping normally and regularly, has no temperature, and she has no foul smell from the back end then treat her for milk fever she should recover in 12hrs, if she does not give her iron and she should recover in 24-48hrs.

Also what type of feed is she on? Her feed may be lacking the things she needed while carrying or nursing piglets.

If you live in the northern half of the world and you are not feeding the proper feed she could have rickets, rickets is a cause of milk fever in pigs. Raising them without sunlight can also contribute to rickets. Signs of rickets are weakness, lame in the back legs, unwilling to move and tremors. Rickets is typically seen in young pig who dont get enough vitamin D3 but I have no idea how old your pig is.