Spaying Gracie

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Gracie is being spayed this morning. Its with mixed emotions but I know its for the best due to Chewy's heart issue. Any suggestions for her aftercare? Its not my first dog to be fixed but its my first LGD.

Rammy

Herd Master
Reaction score
I work for a vet and the advice they give is to keep them quiet, no jumping, running, getting exited, for about ten days. Watch for swelling or discharge around the surgery site. Also keep an eye out for anything out of the ordinary like loss of appetite or being lethargic.
I dont think you will have to worry much. Most surgeries like this go smoothly with no complications. Im sure your vet will go over instructions for aftercare with you when you pick her up.

Last edited:

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm a vet tech and what @Rammy said is spot on!
No running, jumping, playing for 10-14 days. If you have Chlorhexidine you could put on it that works great for speeding healing and preventing infection. Just keep an eye on her and she might be tender for a while :)

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I work for a vet and the advice they give is to keep them quiet, no jumping, running, getting exited, for about ten days. Watch for swelling or discharge around the surgery site. Also keep an eye out for anything out of the ordinary like loss of appetite or being lethargic.
I dont think you will have to worry much. Most surgeries like this go smoothly with no complications. Im sure your vet will go over onstructions for aftercare with you when you pick her up.

Thanks, I also work for a vet. I was wondering more about the LGD aspect. She’s outside all the time, watching over everyone and will now have to be crated so that she doesn’t exert herself. Also if anyone has noted any changes in their LGD after spaying.

Rammy

Herd Master
Reaction score
You'll probably want to keep her kenneled until she gets healed up. Laying in the dirt isnt a good idea. She wont and shouldnt try to guard anything til she gets her stitches out for risk of pulling out the stiches, getting it infected, or a blood clot. We had that happen once when a client didnt follow instructions and his dog passed from a bloodclot. Id keep her on forced doggie vacation til she heals.
As far as personsality goes, I havent noticed much change in that after thier hormones settle.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our GP, Paris calmed down a lot from being a physco dog to a much calmer dog that now plays with our farm dog instead of wanting to take his head off. She still guards fiercely but is a lot sweeter personality, and believe me, that’s an improvement!

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
You need to confine Gracie in a kennel situation after she comes home from the surgery. A crate will not let her stretch out and she will have to lay on her stitches and incision. If you can't fix up a kennel run you can buy portable clip together runs at Lowes and TSC. It is a good idea to have one anyway, in case you need to confine your dogs when loading stock, etc.

A kennel run will allow her to move around without too much activity. it can also be used for injured goats that have to be confined. We use ours all the time for all kinds of uses. Poor Angel is locked up in it at the moment because she hurt her shoulder and the vet said she is not to move around too much.

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
IMG_0065.JPG
IMG_0060.JPG
IMG_0061.JPG
IMG_0062.JPG
Surgery was tougher than we expected. She was under for over 2 hours, her temp dropped as well as her blood pressure. She had a bleeder that they had a hard time locating. They weren't able to do her gastroplexy because they couldn't keep her under any longer. She is feeling much better so much so that she jumped over the gate in the laundry room where she has been residing. I had to take her on my morning chores. We are going to have to get out the huge dog crate so we can contain her when we aren't around. Keep me in your prayers.

Last edited: