Splitting up my 7 acres

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I don't recall where you live @mystang89 , maybe you could put it in your profile. I'm assuming somewhere it freezes since frost proof spigots were mentioned.

Regarding the water: I for sure wouldn't want to carry water that far. How is the rock/ledge supply on your land? If not bad, rent a 4' trencher and run that water line to those frost free spigots. And drop underground 12/3 wire in conduit in the trench at the same time. You'll need stock tank heaters out there.

Updated the profile. I live in Southern IN. There is a stretch of land running horizontal with the middle spring that is rock. I can't see being able to dig anywhere in that. It spans about 10ft wide in some spots. The rest of the area is nice and green though :p

I can't really say I look forward to halling 5 gal bucks at a time to the troughs :/

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Given the scenario you plan, I expect that until you have water lines out to the pastures, you will be using a water wagon attached to a tractor (or garden tractor if that is what you have). I sure as heck wouldn't be carrying that much water that far! I'm going to have to carry water from the house down to the alpacas at the far end of the barn this winter. I'm using Cat's Pride bottles. Take the label off and they look like Jerry cans ;) Two of them hold more water than the heated bucket.
images

Robert Shon

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I wish I had seen this site two years ago before I fenced in our reclaimed acres. I've corrected most of my mistakes now but could have saved some $$$ if I had only known !
I originally did most of my gates as 10' & didn't give myself access from what turned out to be a critical entry point. That's now been corrected with 16' gates so moving 1000 lb bales around in the mud & snow isn't a problem any longer. I use my 12' wide 400' long connecting path as a run for my young calves during the summer when it's got a nice cover of clover / timothy on it. It's gated on both ends & has access between four different pastures along it length. Now that the gates are either 12 or 16 ft the tractor & equipment move very smoothly between all areas. Hind sight is a great thing !!!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Robert Shon you aren't the only that learned by mistake. We fenced in a previous piece of property--all wrong. This time, a lot of thought and planning went into it. Isn't it great to have a forum like this that we can all learn from?

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I haven't been able to buy the Fencing yet due to some unexpected expenses with the house (it's about as insulated as a barn built in the 1800s) but hopefully in the spring the tax return will be good to me. Yes it is very good to have a site like this especially for new people like myself.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
You can see through the boards on the walls and feel the wind blow up through the floor? ;)

Given my experience fencing in November, spring would be a much nicer time of year to do yours anyway :D

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You can see through the boards on the walls and feel the wind blow up through the floor? ;)

Given my experience fencing in November, spring would be a much nicer time of year to do yours anyway :D
Actually yes lol. We had a home energy author come out to the house and he did a blower test on the door while using his thermal scanner and he found a place in the wall right above the fireplace of all places where there was air coming through the wall. And we have been able to feel air coming from the cellar through the floor as well LOL. I figured we either could try to stay warm in the winter or get some fencing and put it up fencing and put it up. I voted for the warm.

I'd have agree with you though, I think that spring would be a much more beautiful time to put the fencing up.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
:lol:
I asked because I have an 1800's barn and it (naturally) has no insulation. And gaps in the walls and gaps in the floor the prior owner put in to make a workshop. Plenty of air coming up through the floor when there is a north wind given the foundation (where it exists) is fieldstone and not at all tight.

Don't wait TOO long into the spring. Digging post holes can warm you up pretty quickly.