Squatting 3 month old lamb

LindyAcres

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hi! I brought my three lambs home yesterday and since then have noticed one with a couple of symptoms I was hoping to address. One of our girls had her poop change from normal, to round and clumped together, to a greenish pile of mush over the last 24hrs. This evening I have seen her squatting too. I am thinking it is from the stress of moving and a new pasture to munch on. We are in upstate NY and our snow just melted so we only have tiny baby grass and clover coming up. I have been giving her the same hay and grain from the farmer I bought her from and have only added the new hay and grain at about 1:10 ratio. The other two have normal poop and everyone is acting playful and energetic. Any tips or ideas? First time shepherd here!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
If she is eating the new grass coming up, that will change her poop to green and mushy. Feed a good hay before turning them out on the pasture. Put out baking soda so they don't bloat on the new green grass. Squatting could mean that she is urinating.

LindyAcres

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice. I made sure they had hay before they went out to eat and put out the baking soda in a small dish. By the end of the day her poop was back to normal. She was squatting to pee! Right again!
Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 10.48.06 PM.png

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you! As a newbie I'm thankful to find a group of friendly people willing to share advice :)
We are always here, and will always do our best to help. You ask for advice, you get different responses, then you sift through it and find what fits your situation and we'll support you all the way.