Storing Honey Supers

Happy Chooks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I currently have 2 partially filled supers and 8 empty supers in my freezer. The 2 partials can stay there all winter, but I'll need the rest of the space for a hog we have coming next month. How do you store your empty supers?

Buzz'n Billy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
In the garage or outside. I'm assuming you've got lots of wax on frames and worried about wax moth damage. You can stack the supers and use Paradichlorobenzene (PDB) on the frames and the wax moths will not be an issue. Just research how to use and let them air out for a couple of days before putting back on hive. Or you can put frames in place where plenty of air and light will circulate keeping the wax moths away.

humble bee

Just born
Reaction score
If you're using the supers next year you shouldn't have a huge problem with wax moths. I wouldn't even bother with PDB. If you should see any wax moth larvae no worries the bees will clean it up in the spring when you put the supers back. You'll only have major issues with wax moth if you're not using the supers for each harvest season. That has been my experience in the pacific northwest dealing with greater and lesser wax moths.

Happy Chooks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If you're using the supers next year you shouldn't have a huge problem with wax moths. I wouldn't even bother with PDB. If you should see any wax moth larvae no worries the bees will clean it up in the spring when you put the supers back. You'll only have major issues with wax moth if you're not using the supers for each harvest season. That has been my experience in the pacific northwest dealing with greater and lesser wax moths.

Thanks for the reply. I do plan on using the supers next year. I have a sealed room that I store my bee equipment in that doesn't get regular traffic through it. I wasn't sure how much of an issue moths would be.

Happy Chooks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I ended up putting the frames in the freezer for a few weeks, then pullet them out and have the empty ones stored in the super. (partially filled are still in the freezer) I have them covered on the top and bottom in a sealed room. Time will tell if that is a good way to store them.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Now that the time is coming, how did your storage method work out? Have you checked those frames out yet? I have my wax coated foundations for my new frames in a cardboard box stacked in my garage and just noticed the other day that they are (were) under a window that the sun shines in every afternoon :barnie:( I moved the box, but haven't looked yet to see if the wax coating on any of the foundation has melted or been damaged.

Happy Chooks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It's worked well. I stacked them on a counter in our well house. It's a tight building and we rarely go in it this time of year. I stacked the supers and then put the plastic tray from my screened bottom board to cover it. I checked on the comb yesterday, and it's all fine.

My partially filled frames are still in the freezer, awaiting the time to add my super. Then I'll thaw them out and put them in the super for the bees to finish off.

Latest posts