Strategies for keeping the goats away from your good plants

savingdogs

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Well we have a great little goat pen and enclosure but need to let our goats out to free range a large area that we need grazed down in order to access. While most everything that is landscaped is fenced off from them, some areas were landscaped with perrenials and border flowers by the prior owner and we planted an orchard.

Yes, I realize the orchard + goats equals a dumb choice on our part, but the orchard is already toast.

They also ate a whole ROW of peonies ready to bloom and I'm not sure if I have a place to transplant them to. I mean the bottom half of the plants. I wish I could contrive some way of keeping the goats off the area without using a five foot chain link in front of a flower border. I also have chickens I'd like to keep off the area as well.

Or should I just give up and move all the plants? I do need to plant something there to hold up the hillside, so if I wanted something as a house "foundation" planting that goats did not enjoy, what should I choose?
Or is there any low fencing that keeps goats away or at least slows them down?

Any suggestions that work for you would be great. But so far the goats in the garden have not been very good for it!

Mea

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
Well we have a great little goat pen and enclosure but need to let our goats out to free range a large area that we need grazed down in order to access. While most everything that is landscaped is fenced off from them, some areas were landscaped with perrenials and border flowers by the prior owner and we planted an orchard.

Yes, I realize the orchard + goats equals a dumb choice on our part, but the orchard is already toast.

!
This might help if they have not completely destroyed Your fruit trees....
We used to "paint" the trunks with Pig manure. Sounds gross doesn't it ?! but that is the idea. We had a few trees in the goat field that we did not want destroyed . We mixed the manure with a bit of water, enough to allow it to be put on with a brush, and painted as high as we could reach on the trees. One coat would last about three months ...even in rain. Dainty, picky, finicky goaties would not Dream of touching that nasty stuff !!! :sick Actually once it dried on... there was no oder we could sense.

As far as protecting Your other plants... i can only think of electic netting that can be moved...and that has it's own issues.

Never knew that they would eat peonies ! Learned something today.

Good luck. Goats ... when on a Food Mission are very effective at clearing our most prized plants !!:lol:

savingdogs

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I can attest they most especially like just the flower heads, ready to pop open and bloom and the top half of the plant that will probably form next year's flower. Grrrr................

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Give it up. Move the plants. Goats know exactly what the value of each plant is and they have expensive taste!

Ashmeade

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
My goats do not allow me to have plants or pretty landscaping.

:(

chandasue

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I put "hoops" made of 4' welded wire fencing encircling each of my fruit trees staked with a T-post. Not pretty but it works and it's not thick wire so it's not so obvious... I have sort of the same set up where they have a run but I let them out to browse a few hours everyday, supervised so if they do get a notion about getting past the fence around my fruit trees I can stop it, but they've never even tried. If you don't want to put up fence then forget about having a garden of any sort... :barnie :gig

savingdogs

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Well I do have fence but these particular plants are on the wrong SIDE of it. I guess I have to get out my shovel........

I don't suppose anyone knows how to save a living apple tree whose bark has all been peeled off? I know it is just a matter of time.......

Ariel301

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Fence the goats away from the plants with tall escape proof fencing. We've got 7 foot high chain link pens for the goats here, and it keeps them in fairly well. But we also have to have a second fence around any plants we want to keep, because the wildlife will eat them.

Aped

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I'm no help here. I just gave up and don't let them out of their pen now. It was great when I got them last year and they would run aorund eating all the weeds and perhaps most of the roses. But I've tamed my yard a bit more since them and planted stuff iI don't want to eat.

I don't have much space and even planted them a tiny pasture which is a mixture of alfalfa, pasture mix and weeds. They liked it for about an hour then they got tired of it because goats love to eat and walk even if there can fill their tummies without moving an inch.

I think I'll start letting them out of the pen again in late fall when I don't care what gets eaten cause it's going to die ove the winter anyway.

I also did a not smart thing and planted 2 apple trees. I knew the goats would be all over them so. I put a fence around them that is about 3 feet away from the trunk. One tree has all the growth at the top and is untouched and doing great, the other came to me branched and the goats could reach all the bottom leaves. Hopefully the top survives through the winter.