Summer feeding for ND goats

breezy2u

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have four NG goats in an acre and a half pasture. There is tons of grass in the summer here in Alabama so I don’t buy hay at all in the summer unless it’s for bedding. But I’m wondering if that’s ok. They also get goat feed in the evening and free minerals. Am I harming the goats?

Just for background, the reason I don’t buy hay is because I don’t have much space for storage. In the winter I put about six bales at a time in my garage but I would rather not have it in there during the summer.

breezy2u

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Well, I use a trailer to get my hay from Tractor Supply so if I am going to get two I might as well get 6. One day I want to build a shed to keep the hay and feed in so that I can maybe park in my own garage.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, I use a trailer to get my hay from Tractor Supply so if I am going to get two I might as well get 6. One day I want to build a shed to keep the hay and feed in so that I can maybe park in my own garage.

Do as FEM suggested and you get your hay AND your garage :thumbsup

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Don't make it airtight...just tie it down enough that it doesn't blow off. I have been known to put cardboard between the hay and the tarp to soak up any condensation. If you're not trying to store it for a year or so - it should be fine. :)

breezy2u

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Just an update. I got some hay and I have it set up on a pallet outside under a tarp. The goats are sooooo excited to have it! Thank you all for your input. I'm also going to work on getting some copper and selenium in their diet as they have a little bit of a red tint to their coat. Are there any other feed secrets I should know? How do I estimate their weight for the copper? If I switch to alphalfa pellets, do I mix it in their current sweet feed? What about beet pulp?