SWOLLEN QUARTER ON DRY HEREFORD

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Normally, you use the dry cow treatment when you dry a cow off. So, you use only one tube per quarter at that time. You are using it to treat mastitis so it may take a few treatments.

This vet that is advising you, have you told them she is dry and has mastitis that you are trying to clear up?

It's really up to you on what you want to do for treatment but, remember she could loose the quarter if it isn't cleared up in time.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
an she may loose that quarter anyway.but she can still raise a calf on 3 teats.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
wynedot55 said:
an she may loose that quarter anyway.but she can still raise a calf on 3 teats.
Very true. The main thing is that you get it so that she doesn't become sick. Then you could loose the calf and her.

moonie's mother

Just born
Reaction score
She's been dry since March, I shipped all the calves then. The vet knew she'd been dry since spring and he said to be sure and get the "dry" cow mastitis treatment. He said clean her out good, insert the "stuff" and hope for the best. Well I've already given her two treatments (one saturday a.m. and one last night) I'm just confused as to what do I do now? Do I wait a couple days and do it again? There was more "stuff" that came out last night than saturday a.m. so I'm glad that I stripped it out BUT! what advantage would there have been to have left it in and only given one treatment like the vet said. I'm not a vet either but common sense says to keep stripping it out and give more penicillin treatments. Maybe he wasnt really paying attention to me as it was over the phone first thing saturday am.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You've stripped and treated her twice now. Dry cow treatment is stronger and will stay longer than reg. masitis treatment. That is why the vet specified it. You can try leaving her and keeping a close watch on her or redoing things again. It's your call.

moonie's mother

Just born
Reaction score
Whew.... I think I'm finally in the clear with this mastitis stuff. I grabbed a friend and drove to the vets to talk to him in person. I told him that I had used the Go-Dry 3 times . I showed him the tube and he said that it probably hasnt been very helpful because there isnt much in it to fight the bacteria all it would do was slow it down. I reminded him that he was the one to recommend it. He said if I really wanted to get rid of it (dah) He could whip me up a syringe of medicine that would take care of it but it would cost around $50. Of course, I said yes. It had 3 antibiotics that I couldn't even pronounce but...even the swelling is down. I sure wish he would have said this in the beginning. Nothing like having to hog-tie a beef cow 4 times in a week. Evidently those Go-Dry are only to prevent mastitis not to cure it. Thanks everyone for answering. It was my first time on this forum and I appreciate it.
Cathie

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:rolleyes: I'm glad you have it taken care of but, that vet would drive me nuts! I'm not familiar with Go-dry, we use Tomorrow and it has the antibiotics in it needed to fight mastitis.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
id had it out with that vet from the beginning.mastitis is hard enough to cure as it is.