TAMUK variety?

DustyBoot

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'll see if I can get some pictures posted a little later. Got the first doe bred today -- she's broken chocolate otter, and he's chocolate. Christmas-ish babies! We're waiting about a month on the second doe because she's a little younger and could stand to grow a bit more.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have had more people come here, looking for a Netherland Dwarf, get their hands on a Mini Rex, and they are sold. It's like they can't believe an animal can be that soft!

Congrats on your new buns; fingers crossed on the breeding.:fl

DustyBoot

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm terribly delinquent in picture-taking, and actually I have to confess that these are from the day we brought them home. I'll have to get some better pictures soon, but things have been busy as they tend to be this time of year. I've done lots of rabbit-snuggling, but not much picture-taking.

23826190_296482464202321_6711588445475097328_o.jpg

This is Petunia. She's due to have her first litter shortly after Christmas. She's a little grumpy and doesn't seem to appreciate being handled, but I'm hoping that's pregnancy speaking.

23847414_296482507535650_2943374573575672991_o.jpg

This is Cornelius Fudge, or just Fudge most of the time. He'll be father of Petunia's litter. He's a sweetheart.

23847236_296482534202314_694654116816359731_o.jpg

And this is Lily. We're planning to breed her after Christmas -- giving her just a little more time to finish growing herself before breeding. She also seems to be pretty friendly.

Dani4Hedgies

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
would love to see the kits that they produced if you have any pictures to share?

DustyBoot

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I put up one photo of the entire litter here: https://www.backyardherds.com/threads/dusty-boot-ranch.36961/page-2

Here's a shot of just one at about two weeks old, I think. I need to get some new pictures now; they've gotten so much bigger, but it's hard to get them all together because they're busy little things! This is one of two broken chocolate otters, I believe.

IMG_20180114_143037661.jpg

DustyBoot

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Should have listed the total color count. We have two solid chocolates, one chocolate otter, two broken chocolate otters, a broken black otter, a broken blue otter, and a broken lilac -- total of eight. And they're all adorable beyond belief. Next litter (from the broken black on my lap in the earlier picture) is due Friday!

Hideaway Pines

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We're looking at adding meat rabbits to our little ranch in the near future and I'm trying to figure out what breed. We're in central Texas, which means cold probably isn't an issue but heat certainly is. I'm wondering if anyone here has tried raising the TAMUK variety of rabbit that's supposed to be more heat tolerant, or if you have experience with another breed you'd especially recommend as best able to cope with the heat.

I'm interested in tanning hides as well as using the meat, so we may be raising roasters more than fryers, although that could change depending on the results. In general our philosophy is that we like animals that are hardy and more self-sufficient -- which is not to say we won't provide whatever care is appropriate, but given the choice between lower- and higher-maintenance animals, we'll probably take the lower even if it also means somewhat lower production.
I just got my first Tamuk buck and have bred him to my California rabbit. I expect babies in a few weeks. I will let you know how they do, but I know a few people who have them and love them. So excited to add them to our little farm.
Did you ever get one? we like the rabbit and chickens ourselves, but are going to branch out into rooting/homesteading pigs. We want ones that are smaller in size, easy for us to butcher ourselves.

Hideaway Pines

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I just got my first Tamuk buck and have bred him to my California rabbit. I expect babies in a few weeks. I will let you know how they do, but I know a few people who have them and love them. So excited to add them to our little farm.
Did you ever get one? we like the rabbit and chickens ourselves, but are going to branch out into rooting/homesteading pigs. We want ones that are smaller in size, easy for us to butcher ourselves.
We have had our California/New Zealand rabbits for almost 5 years, they are in a mostly enclosed building with one wall being hardware cloth and goat panel for protection. We do have fans set to come on automatically if the temp gets above 80 and this along with the fact that the building is under a lot of shade trees so never in direct sun does keep them cool enough. Sometimes I also add pieces of granite slabs to their cages, these are cool for them to lay on - easier than trying to do frozen water bottles. But I have never lost a rabbit to the heat.