teat dip recipe please

willow_top_farm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
kid'n'kaboodle said:
I know this post is not terribly recent, but I went through this quandry last year. I felt dish soap and bleach were not only irritating to the skin, but many dish soaps, including Dawn, contain formaldehyde. Chlorine is just plain toxic even at dilute concentrations, especially when combined with other substances like dish soap. :(

I have used peroxide and water with a small amount of bentonite clay and a few drops of lavendar essential oil as an udder wash. For a teat dip I use peroxide and water so the solution is .5% peroxide.
Would you share your recipe amounts for your wash and dip? Where would one get the bentonite clay? Thanks.

Chickenfever

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
For the last year I've used a natural dish soap like biokleen and water for a wash and then after milking GSE and water for a dip. Have not had any problems.

Big Mamas FF

Just born
Reaction score
Hello, My name is Chondra and I have been reading your post about your LaMancha that just had a beautiful litter of 4 kids. I have a regular full grown LaMancha (my first goat) and she is suppose to be pregnant and breed back in January, but I don't see a large growth of her stomach and her bags did get a little bigger, or really just one side but shouldn't she seem a lot bigger like yours was???

kid'n'kaboodle

Just born
Reaction score
willow_top_farm said:
Would you share your recipe amounts for your wash and dip? Where would one get the bentonite clay? Thanks.
You can get bentonite clay for livestock (feed grade) at a lot of places that sell livestock supplies. Bio-Ag is the closest one to me that sells it. I put about a 1/2 cupful of clay in a sealable dish or jar and add about 15 drops of essential oil and shake it up. I keep that sealed and use it when I mix up the udder wash. I use about a litre (give or take) of warm water and add a teaspoon of the clay mixture. I add about a tablespoon of 3% peroxide in the water.

For the teat dip I use 6 parts water to 1 part peroxide (3%). The peroxide would be less costly if you were to buy the 35% and dilute it yourself to 3%. The 35% can be harmful at full strength so I don't like to use it in case it gets mixed up with the 3%.