Teresa and Mike Lambing Thread Winter 2019 Part2

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I stand corrected. I went out to check on Notags' lambs and looked over and saw the spotted ewe Mama, sliding out the second of her twins. Sorry I didn't have the camera. She has thrown almost solid black lambs until this time as these are almost all white.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
You sure got the twin thing going on...hope it keeps up.....:thumbsup

Me too. :)

Here is shot of Mama and her twins. She doesn't have them all cleaned up yet so I just took a zoom picture. If I go out there they expect food and forget about their babies. It is 17 degrees out there and not a single one of them is inside where the heat lamp is.

30 Jan 2019 Mama and twins.JPG

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well if we were closer I would have to come give them some hugs, scratches and lovin....I have a bad case of lamb admiration ...... :love
It is 19 degrees and I just brought Lilly to Rocky for doin the wild thing, hope they keep busy and get some body heat going..."cuz baby it's cold here in Florida too "

Angelina Hood

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Im new here. And I read through this thread. Very interested in all the lambing pictures .
So I made what I call my nursery stalls. For mama's and babies. But I'm seeing that is not nessessary. Which does make sense as the flock grows. I only have 3 ewes and a new Ram Lamb.
Im in the south its rarely in the 20's here. We may have a handful of days in the teens over the entire winter. So I guess my question is ..is there ever any reason to separate the ewes and their lambs from the flock?

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Me too. :)

Here is shot of Mama and her twins. She doesn't have them all cleaned up yet so I just took a zoom picture. If I go out there they expect food and forget about their babies. It is 17 degrees out there and not a single one of them is inside where the heat lamp is.

Congrats on all your new lambs, they do look like a good crop and some good color too. We have had kids with weird legs and a lamb with fallen
pasterns after about a week they straighten up...for us anyhow they did. Maggie had fallen pasterns she took about 3 weeks to straighten out but hers were complicated with a broken leg.

It's awesome you are getting the best stock you have had, means your doing it right. I'm sure you will have plenty of boys and culls to sell.

What is the Boy/girl % so far?

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Im new here. And I read through this thread. Very interested in all the lambing pictures .
So I made what I call my nursery stalls. For mama's and babies. But I'm seeing that is not nessessary. Which does make sense as the flock grows. I only have 3 ewes and a new Ram Lamb.
Im in the south its rarely in the 20's here. We may have a handful of days in the teens over the entire winter. So I guess my question is ..is there ever any reason to separate the ewes and their lambs from the flock?

If you have a very small area/ dry lot you might want to yes. Very cold/wet weather or if you get a weak lamb. Sometimes a ewe will try to reject a lamb so need to be tied and penned with her lamb until she accepts it. Many reasons really, it is is a good idea to have a stall or area you can close off.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score

We lambed inside the barn our first time lambing but we were on a dry lot situation then and it was easier on us to manage. Last year we lambed in our big field where we had little if any control of the sheep. This season we struck what we feel is a happy medium and are lambing in a two acre paddock that has access to plenty of cover and shelter if they desire to have it. The shelter is where they have all been since they were born and is adjacent to our handling area. All we have to do us open the door and the sheep are all there with us whether it is to feed them or work them. Any sheep that didn't already come in will come when we call, No stress on them and easier for us.

We always have stalls available but unless we literally put the sheep in them, they rarely use them. We have only had to confine a couple of sheep in three years but if you need it, it's easier to already have it. We have less than half our herd lambing now but we use part of our handling area as their home base where they get their feed so it's easier to have them already feeling secure there. Of the 8 that just lambed, all but one of them had their lambs in the field. The one that had hers in the shelter only did so because one of the other ewes was head butting her and you could tell she was due any minute so we brought her in for her own safety.

There is a whole lot of right ways to set up your system and we found several wrong ways but what we have now is working great.

Latest posts