The journey into the abyss of no return

Sequestered Ridge Ranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Load him in a trailer and weight him. Then unload him and reweigh trailer. That is how the 4-H kids used to weigh their hogs here. It is how DS3 weighed his steer last year. LOL

You can slaughter at 225-230. That used to be the optimal weight for a junior livestock auction hog. Of course, they wanted the meat a little leaner than I like.
Cost me more in fuel and time than buying a scale at around $300, $100 of that went to fuel and the other $200 for my time and still come out short for my time.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have had 2 scales (not counting the hanging scale for newborns). The first one was old style with weights that you put on the balance arm. We had to calibrate it with a 50 lb. sack of feed when we used it. Not super accurate, but close enough for market hogs and lambs. The one I have now I bought used as well, but it is digital, battery operated and mounts on a walk-through scale box. I liked the old scale, but I LOVE this one. Another thing it is good for is weighing animals to know how much meds to give them.

Once you build your walk-through scale box you can just set up a runway and start weighing. :)

Sequestered Ridge Ranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We have had 2 scales (not counting the hanging scale for newborns). The first one was old style with weights that you put on the balance arm. We had to calibrate it with a 50 lb. sack of feed when we used it. Not super accurate, but close enough for market hogs and lambs. The one I have now I bought used as well, but it is digital, battery operated and mounts on a walk-through scale box. I liked the old scale, but I LOVE this one. Another thing it is good for is weighing animals to know how much meds to give them.

Once you build your walk-through scale box you can just set up a runway and start weighing. :)
I want to see progress and know how much to feed them too. I put out 15 gallons of ferment corn yesterday and they came back for more :oops: That's about 75 lbs of corn.