The journey into the abyss of no return

Weldman

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Ah yes, my welding skills with aluminum in 30 mph winds that most won't know how difficult that is especially with weathered aluminum. It's going to be buried 4' in the ground.

Weldman

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Aluminum is supposed to be hard to weld, so I have heard. Looks like a pretty good job to me.
Was going to use a wood post, but someone chopped them up for their garden. I could of done better though lacking supplies. Little bit of brake cleaner, an actual dedicated stainless steel wire brush and doing it out of the wind would made things better.
Should of, would of, could of, but didn't. Last time I welded aluminum was 4 years ago.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’m not a welder, but worked in welding shops running class B machines. I passed a welding test on exhaust pipes, thin walled stuff. But I refused the job after learning it was back on night shift.

4 years? Once you got it, you got it. You just did a refresher course. LOL

Weldman

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I’m not a welder, but worked in welding shops running class B machines. I passed a welding test on exhaust pipes, thin walled stuff. But I refused the job after learning it was back on night shift.

4 years? Once you got it, you got it. You just did a refresher course. LOL
Oh I know I still got it, just noting lack of tools to do it better due to they all got used somewhere else and worn out. Was glad I at least had argon still and didn't swap the bottle for more useful gas i.e. oxygen or C25/C10.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have to ask myself, what the hell am I doing, I'm retired with a pension.
:gig:yuckyuck:gig Same here. Every now and then I ask DH that question - why are we working on this ranch when we could buy a condo on the beach, or the mountains, or the desert, relax and just travel. He thinks that is a really funny questions and tells me it is because we enjoy it. And we do!
If they are "down the road" are they at a lower elevation? Sometimes that can be the make or break. Your soil and and type of topsoil will determine some of it...
Y can check your soil and elevation with the county extension agent and there may be another grain crop that would do better.
but I have never had a successful corn harvest.
In small gardens the common mistake is to plant long rows of corn. Instead, you have to plant small squares of it so it will be able to pollinate properly. Once it starts to tassel you go out in the late afternoon and gently shake the stalks to encourage pollination. It will work if the soil is good. Corn and cotton are two crops that drain the soil of nutrients. That is why crop rotation is important with those crops. Rotating nitrogen fixing crops like beans through after the corn is good for the soil and why soybeans are usually rotated through in large scale farming. Using good compost also helps in small plots.

Weldman

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The guy is already backing out of allowing me to get rock where I am getting it. The infamous "oh I didn't know you meant that far you were going with the rock" SERIOUSLY, WTF DID YOU NOT GET WHEN I SAID ALL THE FUK AROUND TO HIS FUKING DRIVEWAY?!!!
Fine, want to play stupid, then you were too stupid to see of the 124 acres we own we have a few acres of rock too. Going to finish this 16 load contract get about 20 loads of rock from you, the other 100 loads or thereabouts will come from my land and I will keep $200 a load.
KIMG05477.JPG
KIMG05466.jpg

Weldman

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
WOW!! So, what'd ya do? Dang!!
This is the part you get a rock and puncture the hole slightly larger, grab some bubble gum from the store and shove it in the hole, get a little more petrol and head home. After home save what you can, flush it with water, let it dry, flood it with argon, weld it back up, weld a plate on and go again.

Latest posts