The journey into the abyss of no return

Weldman

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
As y'all start dragging out out the BBQ pits, the cold beers, meat to slap on the grill and chairs for family and friends this Memorial Weekend, do those who didn't make it back a favor and pull them a chair up too.
Thanks,
Weldman
Ft. Campbell KY 1-187 Infantry Reg.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
We owe our military everything. My youngest grandson, Nicholas, is named for a dear school friend of DS2 who didn't make it back. DS2 was in Afghanistan. He doesn't talk about it much. His first 4th of July back from deployment when the fireworks went off, he hit the dirt and took his older brother with him! He only talks about the things he saw with other military friends. He has been back a while, but DH who served in Vietnam says you never forget war.

Thank you for your service Weldman, and thanks to all others who served on BYH.

Weldman

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
IMG_0040.jpeg

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
How far did you have to back in there? Over a mile? How many loads will you have to put in there? Is that the "driveway" to that place or is that going to be a road to go past there to another property?
Brings back memories of my dad when working for a company that hauled gravel etc... but countryside is nothing like that. My Grandfather drove a 10 wheeler and my dad ran a dragline dredging out lakes... both also ran smaller track loaders and backhoes and such. None of the ground was that hard or dry... lots of black topsoil with huge glacier sized rocks up in Conn. Lot of lakes and ponds and streams and rivers.
Parents place in NH was right along the Conn River which divides NH and VT... lot of water...

Weldman

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
How far did you have to back in there? Over a mile? How many loads will you have to put in there? Is that the "driveway" to that place or is that going to be a road to go past there to another property?
Brings back memories of my dad when working for a company that hauled gravel etc... but countryside is nothing like that. My Grandfather drove a 10 wheeler and my dad ran a dragline dredging out lakes... both also ran smaller track loaders and backhoes and such. None of the ground was that hard or dry... lots of black topsoil with huge glacier sized rocks up in Conn. Lot of lakes and ponds and streams and rivers.
Parents place in NH was right along the Conn River which divides NH and VT... lot of water...
Around 14:10 is where their driveway starts, the rock I put for their driveway they didn't want to go all the way so about 7 loads which at 15:14 is where I started at from that telephone pole and went to the house of around 800' maybe little less and ends at their property.
Their property butts up to BLM land that butts up to one of my properties with the property that I get the rock from. Now to complicate things more, the property I am getting the rock from is for sale and I'm trying to convince the wife we should buy it. Problem is she doesn't see what I see in potential for our own rock quarry and being one of two people who only can get this rock.
What she does see is the guy bought the land for $18k (2021) and last year tried to sell it for $179k, but now is trying $120k and he is the reason my 5 ton went off the ridge couple of months back with the fact the insane woman would be a neighbor then.
It's only hard and dry cause we had no snow hardly and it's clay, 24 hours ago if I drove it down I would of lost the dump truck cause of no traction for the tires when hitting the brakes.
I put in 17 loads in total since the other 10 that didn't go in the driveway will go around the home for firebreak and backed in .34 tenths of a mile about 1700 something feet.

Next job is 25 loads with half mile of backing down, right at 8:10 mark in the video I will have to turn the dump truck around at that split and back it down the hills till the 10:22 mark. I'm holding off since instead of paying for the rock, we keep the money made from the rock if we buy the property. Just trying to convince the wife there is at least 600 loads in that quarry that would pay itself off.

Weldman

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
On a different note, some friends of ours bought Pooch's brother "Gus", poor dog doesn't have much to do, on a cable leash that's pretty long, but looking thinner than I agree to.
Seems they aren't quiet meshing together by his behavior and what they are looking for, so we might end up with him soon. I'm going to push for it based on my observation and I'm no expert, but I learned a thing or two here and based on what seems right.
Will keep both on different properties with something to do, going to try hard too cause the more damage done the more it will take to undo.
Seen him today and it broke my heart, these are good people, but these dogs aren't meant for everyone.