The Never-ending Post Hole Augering Drama at Lupin Farm

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
What do you guys do to set your fence posts? Our last fenceline was pounded, but this one we are augering. Our posts are 4" ...I've seen people gravel 25-50% of the way up, and backfill with soil (tamped), and people doing gravel 25%, soil 25%, a layer of concrete, then soil on top of that.

How do you guys do it?

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Our drilled ones are drilled, post in, some dirt in, tamp, more dirt in, tamp, etc. until filled. They are drill quite a ways though.

We have clay ground and this seems to work well for us.

2468herdsrgr8

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
lupinfarm said:
What do you guys do to set your fence posts? Our last fenceline was pounded, but this one we are augering. Our posts are 4" ...I've seen people gravel 25-50% of the way up, and backfill with soil (tamped), and people doing gravel 25%, soil 25%, a layer of concrete, then soil on top of that.

How do you guys do it?
We cemented the corners and at the gates....we grow rocks here....ha ha !! so we just backfilled and tamped it down and then more back fil and tamping it down.....

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
2468herdsrgr8 said:
lupinfarm said:

How do you guys do it?
We cemented the corners and at the gates....we grow rocks here....ha ha !! so we just backfilled and tamped it down and then more back fil and tamping it down.....
haha!! we grow rocks to! ... we have at the least 2.5 ft and at the most ..who knows! At the house I was able to dig down 4 ft, part of the field has a rock shelf on which i will buck fence.

2468herdsrgr8

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Ha ha ! Our fence line is crooked on the one side because it was the last line to do and the guys using the tractor were getting so angry when something broke....luckily hubby s a welder

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
2468herdsrgr8 said:
Ha ha ! Our fence line is crooked on the one side because it was the last line to do and the guys using the tractor were getting so angry when something broke....luckily hubby s a welder
We're renting a hydraulic tow behind auger from home depot cause the guys with the tractor are too expensive! plus are booked up all season lol.

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Jeallousss, our neighbours are all cow farmers and don't have time lol

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
hahaha... we're doing it all. drilling and back filling. I mean, ours is just going to have 4 lines of electric on it.