The Ultimate Solution for the Wax Moth Problem

soarwitheagles

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I didn't believe it at first either even seeing it. I had to look it up, make sure I really was looking at a sparrow then make sure they eat bees.

I want your sparrows! Lol normally mine will stay out in the pasture and when I more it they'll swarm all the insects which can be seen. I love watching that.

You know, that seemed like a large preying mantis.... Large enough to way a Sparrow?o_O

Stang,

So sorry to hear about the sparrows eating your bees. The sparrows here eat worms and at times, our freshly planted sugar snap pea seeds. In fact, we have to cover our peas seeds with plastic every spring if we expect them to germinate and sprout...otherwise the sparrows eat every one of them!

Preying Mantis here are about 3-4 inches in length. I have caught and played with many of them since childhood until...

About 15 years ago, I accidentally crushed one while I was painting a preschool playground structure. Next thing you know, I let out a very, very loud scream. I never realized they can bite and that their bite hurts like heck [their bite hurts much more than a bee sting]. No one ever told me they can bite real hard. For many years I thought they were one of the best pets you could have!

Needless to say, through that experience, I lost my childhood innocence and the wonder of placing preying mantis' on my shoulder, on my hand, on my arm, etc.

Now I have a very healthy respect for them and I simply let them do their job!

I smile at them, but from a healthy distance now...

Last edited:

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That is really nice to know. Even now at 34 y/o I let them walk all over me. I will think twice before doing that now lol.

Latest posts