The unexplained non-fever cough that will not end

RainySunday

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have a doe (well, one is worse than the other two, but they all have a touch of it) that is coughing. No nasal or anything discharge. No fever, not off feed, etc. Normal except for this dratted cough. It's gone on for quite awhile now. We had a wether do the same thing about a year ago, and after getting tired of listening to it, finally tried LA200 (after a lungworm treatment protocol did nothing), and he never coughed again.

I can't use that on these does though, since they are pregnant and due in march-april. The vet has looked at the worst one, said her lungs didn't sound great, but since she didn't have a fever, and was pregnant, she would rather wait to treat her until after babies come (since most antibiotics are off-label for goats, etc). I was fine with that, as the does seems fine except for a cough. That was a couple weeks ago.

Now, I've had two baby goats come down with resp. stuff, with a fever (right after being moved to their new home, of course; I did give the buyer full-disclosure that I have a coughing doe, who cannot currently be treated; still frustrating though, even thought hey showed no symptoms here).

With that in mind...I am concerned that the junior need to be treated so they don't pass anything to the rest of the herd...

Thoughts? What antibiotics are considered safe for late-term pregnant does? Should I treat at all? I hate doing pen-g, since it's twice a day, but if it would work, and is safe...I actually have help all next week, so twice a day would be feasible.

I don't like using the vet unless I have to, it generally ends up being a case of "Yep, you did everything that I would have told you to, good job!" oh, and "here's your bill" :rolleyes: which is reassuring, but can get expensive.

Okay, all done rambling for now. Goat people, ready, GO!

RainySunday

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Just took temps on several of the does and babies. The coughing doe and one baby were at 103.1F. The baby had just been sunbathing though, and it is almost 10degrees warmer today than it has been in months, so I will retake hers tonight/tomorrow. The rest of the babies and the junior does were all in the upper 101s-102s, so normal.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Yes, Draxxin is safe for pregnant does. Any of your herd that is coughing, I would treat. Make sure you get shots to do 2 shots. I had pneumonia go through my whole herd one year and the goats didn't have the same symptoms except coughing. They all didn't even have temps. The vet came out and verified that everyone's lungs didn't sound good. So everyone got 2 Draxxin shots which covers 14 days. Haven't had any problems since.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
SuburbanFarmChic said:
I would start thinking about mycoplasmal pneumonia. Our drug of choice for this is draxxin.
Not saying you are wrong but why do you suspect mycoplasmal pneumonia and not some other type?

SuburbanFarmChic

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Because they have no fevers and it is just lingering instead of going away or getting worse. Both Ksalvango and myself and others have had similar coughs in our goats that went away with 2 doses of draxxin. No response to lungworm treatments or a regular antibiotic. Even if it doesn't cure it, a normal antibiotic will usually at least hit the pneumonia a little. If it does nothing and these are the symptoms, I think Mycoplasmal pneumonia and I go for Draxxin. Love that stuff.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is a pricey drug so do you get the doses you need from your vet? How many doses do you have to give? Everything I have read about myco says that the goats will be carriers no matter the treatment. Do you worry about that?

I know there are different subspecies of myco but I thought that goats with myco pnuemonia would be running a high fever, be off feed, and be really sick. I have had friends with goats that have died from it, and they will also cull any animal that has it. Someone that I know just lost 3 goats to it in the last few months. That had necropsies done to make sure. So are there strains of myco that are so deadly. Have you had cultures done to confirm myco?

It would be nice to know that it isn't always a death sentence.

I have had goats that cough, but not this year. Usually the cough just goes away after a few months and have never had to treat any for the cough, but it sure bugs me. My vet says that some goats just cough. No lungworm where I am at. This year I vaccinated for pasturella pnuemonia and no coughing. First time in 4 years of owning goats. Maybe just a coincidence, maybe not.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I don't know that mine was mycoplasma. I did not have anything tested. The vet just said pneumonia. I just got enough doses for each goat to have 2 doses. You give them once every 7 days for a 14 day coverage. So you give one shot and then 7 days later give the second shot. The vet said it was important to do the second shot even if they seemed better to make sure the pneumonia was knocked out. I have not had any problems since.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
What an awesome drug. I really like long acting meds. Treating myco with Tylan is 2x a day for 14 days :(