Things come in 3s...

quiltnchik

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
They say things happen in 3s - well, as of today we've had our 3, so I'm crying "uncle."

About 2-3 weeks before the dog incident, we had someone break into our horse trailer and garage, but they were evidently scared off by our dog that was tied outside for the day (he has a run line and stays out when it's nice - he sleeps on my son's queen-size bed every night). They didn't steal anything, but we called the police to make a report, and then I moved all livestock (horses and goats) to the back of the farm behind the house to be safe.

Then the dog incident happened (you all already know about that one). And then there's today...

My son and I picked up our two pigs from the processor this morning, along with some deer bones for the dogs (this is the preface). This evening, while I was on my way to school to take my math final, my daughter called. She said, "Have you talked to Dad?" and I could tell from her voice it wasn't good, so I asked her what happened. She said, "I had to take the .38 outside because Dudley (my son's Pitbull - the one mentioned above) had another dog by the throat." When I asked her to describe the dog, she said it was "HUGE" and that it was silver-gray with red highlights and had a bushy tail; in other words, a coyote. The coyote had evidently smelled the blood from the deer bones and decided to try to take them from Dudley - NOT a good idea! My daughter said she opened the door and it startled both Dudley and the coyote, so the coyote was able to get away. After its throat being in Dudley's jaws, I'm pretty confident that it's dead by now. Dud is up to date on his rabies, but we're taking him for a booster to be safe. Never a dull moment on the farm... Did I happen to mention I'm crying "uncle?" <sigh> :he :barnie

Backyardherder

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Yup. Never a dull moment. Just some minutes ago, I heard terrified peeping and - yes, the dog got loose. AGAIN. And of course, began chasing the chicks. I just barely pulled a bantam cochin chick out of her jaws. Another bantam cochin cockerel was found dead. :-(

We really, really need to find a better way to restrain this dog. There hasn't been a time when she got loose and wasn't caught within minutes, but even so, this cost us some beautiful chickens. She is very active and is getting very strong and wears down/breaks any lock and chain.

Latest posts