Three Little Pigs

BarnOwl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We raise feeder pigs and i got tired of having to fight pigs off when i tried to feed them, having to go find where they tossed their feed pan, them turning over their water and some of them were just creepy. So I built a Pig Palace. We got a feed bin that holds 150 pounds of feed and we can fill it from the outside. We have a water barrel too, gosh i love that thing! Here's a link to my Pig Palace.

I love your set up! I don't have a feed bin yet as I've been told that if I free feed AGH they'll get obese really fast. I usually throw several handful of pellets over the side of the fence to distract them before I go in to fill up their feed pans because otherwise they follow at the back of my legs, and I'm still learning to read pigs. The gilts are small enough that I don't feel threatened, but I bet the year-old could give a nasty bite if she wanted to. So far, I think their grunts seem happy and friendly, but if they start creeping me out, I'll feed them from outside the fence. I'll be super disappointed if I can't train them to drink from their barrel. I mean, my chickens managed to learn to drink from their nipple-waterer with almost no help from me, and pigs are supposed to be smart. :)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Take away their water tubs and they will learn real quick. You could build them a shelter with a window cut in it like mine and feed them from the outside. We took out the blue barrel feeder and put in a heavy trough made from 2x8's. Then if you go in their pen, they won't be looking for feed.