Tick problem

mignavrod

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi,

I need some help; I have a mostly outside dog that has a lot of ticks. I have used Adams shampoo and Adams flea and tick spray, but that only helps for a while. the interesting thing is that I have both ND goats and chickens and I don't see ticks in any of them, only on the dogs. I am in warm South Florida. Anyone out there that can give me some tips?

thanks,

Miguel

Amiga

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
For my cats I use Revolution, and in the house I use Fleabusters. That stuff is wonderful! The ducks' temperature is too warm, I am told, for ticks and fleas. I have not verified that tidbit. Also, they bathe regularly.

Here in the Land of Lyme, a practice that is catching on is using tubes with dryer lint (treated with pyrethrin) in the centers of the tubes, and setting them where domestic animals cannot get at them, but where rodents will nab the lint to use for their bedding. This reduces the numbers of ticks carried by rodents in the area. One can purchase them or DIY.

Then there are Tick Keys and other mechanical removal devices. I am also told that Japanese barberry harbors rodents that carry ticks. Some folks are changing their landscaping.

I am also told that Muscovies and Guinea fowl reduce the tick population. Can you treat the dog's bedding and shelter with Fleabusters (there is a right way and a wrong way, so follow directions)? I would do that right away.

goats&moregoats

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I use front line plus on my dogs and cats. My chickens didn't seem to cut down the amount of ticks this past summer at all. Seriously thinking on getting a couple runner or Muscovy ducks for this next year. My ND got a few this past summer. Soap on a cotton ball, hold over tick for a few minutes, then rubbing in a circle around tick, tick seems to retreat on it's own, then they get burned.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have four dogs out with the goats and usually one or two in with each group of goats. I have noticed that the dogs in with the goats on the south side of the creek where the guineas are will have few to no ticks. The dogs in the fields on the north side of the creek will be covered in them. SO either the guineas are doing their job or for some reason the ticks are only on the north side. The environment is the same, pastures surrounded by woods.

mignavrod

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Have you tried Frontline plus on them?
I have not, but I am going to try that next.

Thank you,
Turkeys, guineas, chickens.
Truly, having these birds will make a big difference.
I am limited on what I can have, but I do have chickens but the dog 's main hang out area is where the chickens don't go. I would have never have thought of that. Thank you!

mignavrod

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I use front line plus on my dogs and cats. My chickens didn't seem to cut down the amount of ticks this past summer at all. Seriously thinking on getting a couple runner or Muscovy ducks for this next year. My ND got a few this past summer. Soap on a cotton ball, hold over tick for a few minutes, then rubbing in a circle around tick, tick seems to retreat on it's own, then they get burned.
Thank you. I think that Frontline will definitely be the next thing.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Frontline doesn't work here anymore... some people have found switching back and forth between Advantix and Frontline. None of those work. UGH. They may work in your area but if you can find it in single doses you may be better off... cannot tell you how much $ we threw away. :mad:

When we first moved on our land we couldn't walk out the front door to the dumpster about 30 ft... without having 10-15 ticks on our feet. Within the first few months we had 1 family member and 1 dog end up in the ER... tick born illness. We have spotted fever here, no Lymes. It can kill quick... all the "neighbors" and just about everywhere we went we heard "get chickens, or guineas".
We did. :) Chickens anyway.. we made a deal with our neighbor around the way to never get guineas.... they always end up at his place which is a ways away! LOL Anyway within the first year the chickens had eradicated the problem... as we expanded the turkeys were added and they did their job. Wherever we have the "birds" we have no problems. We have 10 dogs, 8 are LGD's... no ticks. Now the only time we have ticks is when we walk back through the trails where we have no birds... and then we are picking them off again. Of course all our birds are free range so they have good pickins. :D