Tips for overweight doe

megan l kashuba

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hey ya'll I have a standard rex doe that I purchased who was much more overweight than orignally advised. I'm looking for advice on slimming her down (healthily) any tips? She is on 1/4 cup all timothy pellet and free feed timothy hay.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would probably increase her pellets, seems like it would be very low for her as a maintenance. You need a gradual reduction. You may need to watch her hay intake too. What's the protein, fat of the pellets? I would start with giving her the suggested amount minus 1/4

How big is her cage, any excercise pen? I think a daily romp might be your best bet.

GypsyG

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have had two or three rex over the years, and every single one of them was a very easy keeper... It's like they can gain weight on air. Their velvety coats highlight and accentuate their jelly rolls too! The one I have right now is no exception.

I never have figured out how to keep them trim. I just have a chunky rex rabbits.

This is the rex I currently have. Her name is HHelena... and the picture was taken after she birthed her current litter.
KIMG0391.jpg
Do you have any pictures that you can share of your tubby baby?

:frow:welcome

Attachments

• KIMG0391.jpg
    KIMG0391.jpg
    376.7 KB · Views: 135

megan l kashuba

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Lol I agree they seem to get chunky fast. so she has 3x2 ft cage and access to a 3x7 ft run which she prefers not to use it seems. here are some pictures of the chunky monkey her names Juniper. I will try to up her feed again =/
01010_gIvC4LQA8nh_600x450.jpg
00707_O06fP5f0Hy_600x450.jpg
00n0n_f8J3tP4JA3i_600x450.jpg