To be a buck or wether, the tale of brothers....

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, our old farmer friend came over last night and of course butt in on all of our plans with our animals. He’s kinda pushy. He told me to castrate Willy now! He wanted to just cut him open, but I was scared so I got the bands. Oh boy..am I regretting it! My poor boy is sooo sad and not eating much at all! He cried all last night, today I held him quite awhile, but if anyone came by to play, he got very upset. Maybe next time we should just do the simple cut? Our friend says they are back at play within minutes. As for WaLter. Our friend also convinced us to sell him now when he’s young and adorable. Which is true... :love I put the ad on and got three calls right away. The one guy is the man who bought our ducks! So, I’m really hoping Walter goes with them. If he has to leave, I like him going somewhere I can visit, and that has small kids To play with him as he grows. So tomorrow I’m going to give him a crash course on weaning to a bottle...sure it won’t go great. But, at least he’ll have a feel for it before he has to leave. I foresee a lot of tears that day...ugh

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
How old are these guys? Getting one on a bottle after being exclusive mama raised for more than a few weeks is going to be tough.
That’s what I wa# afrai$ of. They aren’t reall6 jus5 will momma. She has trouble because she makes to9 much milk. She I have to milk her down and then hold each one as they nurse off of her...so, kinda close to be8n* bottle fed? Sort of? I know, not at all, but he certainly gets the attention of one!!! Should I just le5 him go then and have the new owners go straigh5 to grain hay and water? They are about 6weeks

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have only heard of 8 weeks and I thought that was early
See...I was planning to do it when they were three month old...but then our farmer friend came by and nope, they can be weaned right now...they’d be just fine!! Had me confused, but Chris thought it was great. I suppose I hope I get more imout here, maybe hold off the sale? @B&B Happy goats @rachels.haven .?

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
You could always offer the person to leave him on mom until 8 weeks. And get a deposit its what i am doing with my buckling i have the owner a deposit and I pick him up March 17 when he 8 weeks old

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
What's two more weeks? I've seen some weaned at 6 weeks = but it's not the best practice. Are they eating feed and hay? And. the more you milk mom the more milk she makes. It's the rule of supply and demand.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
What's two more weeks? I've seen some weaned at 6 weeks = but it's not the best practice. Are they eating feed and hay? And. the more you milk mom the more milk she makes. It's the rule of supply and demand.
They ate grain and hay like crazy...all five of them. I am going to try to put him on a bottle today, but if he won’t go for it, then, I think I’ll call the guy. So, do I then wean all 5of them at 8 weeks? I was really planning to let them go a lot longer, like 12. I hate when our farmer friend gets involved...he just muddles things up. Like I didn’t think it was time to band Willy, thought he was too young. I will kill that guy if I’ll left with a goat that needs rebanded!