too much? update

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
The little lamb born last night was to a first time mama and I was concerned that her udder is not very big. Lamb nurses her often...but have been concerned if she is getting enough or not. So have supplemented her today with 3 bottles of colustrum supplement power for lambs...gave her 1/4 cup each time...she takes the bottle easily and eagerly...then she goes right back to nurse mama.

Mama has some milk...and would prefer her to nurse baby completely, but just not sure. Since she still nurses I'm thinking that if mama is capable, her milk will come in more.

So...am I messing here where I shouldn't or should I continue with the supplementing? Lamb certainly does not hesitate to drink the bottle, so I'm thinking if she was getting enough from mama she wouldn't be interested in the bottle?

I'm wondering if I'm giving her too much to hinder mama's milk increasing, or if I'm not giving her enough?

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I would be a bit concerned that the lamb takes both the bottle and the teat (maybe concerned isn't the right word--just shocked because most lambs are picky! lol). However, instead of using colostrum powder, see if you can get it from her mother. When the lamb digests the colostrum supplement, the smell may confuse the mother and she may not let the lamb nurse.

When you gave her the first bottle, how full was her tummy? If it was full, she's getting enough; if it was sunken in, she's not. Hungry lambs also have cold mouths, whereas well-fed lambs will have warm mouths. Being she's a single I think her dam may have just enough milk for her.

Be careful you don't give her too much--you don't want her to scour.

RemudaOne

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Agree with Sheepgirl, also some of mine take a day or three to REALLY come into milk. I would also be concerned about the lamb starting to smell like the colostrum replacer.

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you for your input! We supplemented a little one last year because that first time mama had a small udder and the lamb was crying. He nursed and got 3 bottles a day and mama didn't reject him...after about 3 days he didn't want the bottle anymore, so we stopped that and he nursed full time on mama.

I see what problems the bottle could be...yet don't want her hungry and it's freezing every night...but...she does not cry...seems content...so should I stop the bottles and just see how it goes?

Want to do right...not mess this up.

RemudaOne

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I would Bon, and just monitor the lamb like you did with the other one. She should let you know if she's not getting enough. If it were me, what I would look for is the lamb moving from teat to teat multiple times while nursing as if she's trying to find more milk, and as you said, lots of vocalization and apparent frustration.

Good to know that supplementing doesn't affect the ewe in a negative way too :)

pinoak_ridge

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
x2 excellent advice. Yes, milk production is influenced by demand. The more a lamb nurses=replacement milk is produced. It is a symbiotic relationship. :D Just keep an eye on her, but it sounds like she will be fine.

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks all...won't give her a bottle today and just keep a close watch on her nursing and signs of being content or not. She will be 2 days old late tonight, so I'm jumping the gun here...fuss budget that I am :p

It's cold and windy here today and felt the inside of her mouth and it's warm :)

goodolboy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Check it for that little round belly. If it fells full and tight, all's goooood.

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
Update from me...don't know how to change the title to put that in ?

It's about 1 pm here now...have been watching the almost 2 day old lamb closely...mama is licking her behind and being a good mama...but little lamb's belly is not full...and now she was trying one teat, then the other teat, back and forth and then crying.

So just gave her a warm bottle a few minutes ago...she eagerly took it, and when I put her back down, she still goes teat to teat when mama encourages her and licks her. Hope I'm not screwing this up, but my gut feeling is that she was hungry and not getting much out of either teat.

Next question...anything I can do to help mama's milk production? It's not day 3 yet, so hoping more comes in soon. One site I googled said to drench the mama with warm water, molasses and vitamins...sound like a good idea? Mama is eating well and drinking water...does drenching her sound like a good or bad idea?

I'm all for letting nature take its course ... up to a point...won't leave this baby hungry and crying and it's cold out there with wind. Mama and little one are comfy in their shelter.

Okay...how many days do newborns get colustrum before the regular milk comes in?

goodolboy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
If it didn't have it by now this post would be differant. Go get a shot from the vet to help milk drop. Oxy..... somthing I believe
Better suplument the lamb a little in the mean while