Too pricey?

GrimshelsGrazingGoats

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I stopped and looked at a boer buck the other day. Nice looking goat. The owner wants 400 for him. My thought at first was not to bad until he told me he didn't have papers on him. Is that a lil high for an unregistered goat. How much money and effort would it be to obtain papers on him.

Squirrelgirl88

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I wouldn't bother. If the owner isn't motivated enough to register in the first place I would have doubts about the value of the goat. If papers are important I would look elsewhere.

GrimshelsGrazingGoats

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I wouldn't bother. If the owner isn't motivated enough to register in the first place I would have doubts about the value of the goat. If papers are important I would look elsewhere.
I'm still trying to decide if I want to raise show goats or the kids for meat sales there aren't many goat owners around this area. We do have a big Latino and a growning Muslim population.

snapnzap

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
You can eat any goat. All goats cost the same to feed. However if even just once in a while you can sell your kids at registered show stock prices you will be better off having bought the pedigreed stock.

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would hesitate to pay that much for unregistered. You should be able to find nice registered stock for that amount. I know there are some really nice genetics behind some unpapered animals, but unless you know the lines he came from and think it is a good deal, I would get one with papers.

Kids that can be registered, could be eaten too....

You can eat any goat. All goats cost the same to feed. However if even just once in a while you can sell your kids at registered show stock prices you will be better off having bought the pedigreed stock.

woodsie

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
For a buck I would go with papered, I made the mistake with taking an unreg buck now, am changing over because it is too limiting. I would still buy a nice unreg doe but not a buck, remember your buck is half your herd's genetics. :old

goatboy1973

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I would pass on this buck unless you can get papers on him and a visual inspection and his bloodlines warrant the outrageous price this person is asking for his buck. Go with a registered buck that way if you have unregistered does, your F1 female kids can be registered as 50% and then you can demand a higher price and customers can have the option to breed up to a purebred Boer.:) The more you diversify your goat biz, the longer you can be in biz. People need choices and will pay a premium if they have a versatile product.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
Price depends on quality. NOT PAPERS. I know a number of farmers who have purebred stock and don't bother to register them because they don't show and don't care. They sell to other farmers who know their stock and their reputation. They get the price they ask for. A purebred goat can be unregistered and can be worth the money if you want to breed for meat and to improve your meat herd.

However, if you want to show or sell based on registration, then you need papers.