Training cattle to ride

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Since yours were weaned at 16 weeks, they had a longer and better "start". I would be feeding them something like a 14% grower or any decent 14-16% ration. You don't need a real high protein, but something that is balanced. Here our feed store has a basic calf feed, 14% protein, that has grains and pellets in it. Some are just pellets, but usually the mixed grains have a molasses base (sweet feed) which helps them to really want to eat it. There are lots of added minerals, vitamins and micro nutrients which helps them to grow. I also use it for the milking cows since it is just a good all around feed. They all like it. Rule of thumb is 1-2% of their body weight.... so say if they weigh 500 lbs they ought to be getting at least 5 lbs of feed or more, daily. A 5 gallon bucket will weigh about 20-25 lbs of a grain/pellet mix just to give you a rough idea. So 1/2 bucket a day to the 2 would really help. If they are content enough to not want any hay then the grass must be pretty good and that is great because they will get more out of good pasture than they will out of hay.
If you do start grain feeding, start them out slow, about half, then work them up to how much you want them to get, over a week or 2 week period or they might get a little loose manure as their body readjusts to the change.
If your grass is good, they will need less "feed" but it will add the extras that they might be missing to keep them growing.

Baby Duck

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I started feeding them grain a week and a half ago.

messybun

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Grass and grain are different. They won’t eat hay if they don’t need to, and it’s not usually as nutritious anyway. Supplemental feeding refers to both supplementing hay when you don’t have enough grass and supplementing the nutrition they need; which includes grain.